baitcasters and hooksets

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by snakecotc, Jan 11, 2006.

1. snakecotc

snakecotc New Member

State:
    newark, ohio
    i just recently bought a penn 109 because i wanted to try a baitcaster. im getting pretty good at casting it but i have a question about when to set the hook. when your clicker takes off, at what point do you engage the reel and set the hook?

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That would be as quickly as I can! Fish on! Tight lines, bent poles and screaming reels!

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If fish is making short runs I will gently pick the rod up and hold it. If the clicker is still going when I pick it up, should be time to set the hook. Blake fishing experiance is the best teacher.

4. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    If it's really peeling line, I shut off the clicker, engage the reel, let the rod load up little bit, then put the meat to it.
    If it's going and stopping, going and stopping I'll try and wait til it commits. Get everything ready and hope it runs.
    Rat

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I I am using a clicker I set the hook a quick as I can, I mostly use circle hooks now, so you dont have to use a clicker or set the hook.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    the only time i'll let a fish run is when using very large baits. and then for only 20 seconds or so, gives them time to get the bait down enough.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Blake, Welcome aboard.

Sometimes if I am a good distance away from my pole, my clicker may run for a long time before I get there. Some times I get a hook set and other times I don't. Same for setting the hook as soon as possible. A lot of the hook set problems can more likely be attributed to the size of hook, hook placement, and hook sharpness, than how long a fish runs. But please, try to avoid the urge to turn off you clicker before you set the hook. I have lost fish picking my rod up and turning the clicker off, only to find that it was a short run. Some times every second counts, especially if your fishing near heavy cover. Some of my buddys kid me about this, but there will be plenty of time to turn your clicker off after your are under control and have a solid hook up. Good luck with your new outfit.

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Jack, try this............Let's assume you're bank fishing and your rod is in a bank holder. Your clicker starts going off.
    Bend over and grab the rod just in front of the reel with your left hand . As you are sliding it out of the holder, engage the reel with your right hand. As you are straightening up, shut off the clicker using the same hand. By the time you are back vertical, you should be ready to set the hook. If you have different makes and models of reels and the clickers operate differently on them, (some up and down, some left to right) put an arrow on the side of the reel pointing the way you shut off the clicker. You can use a little dab of white paint or cut small strips of flourescent tape that can be removed later. Once you set the hook, all you then have to worry about is fighting that bad boy and landing it. If you spend too much time shutting off the clicker, then by all means leave it on. But a little practice and it should flow like melted butter.
    Rat

9. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Snake, Normanly I don't use the clicker on my reels unless I am night fishing and going to take a nap. Most of the time my reels are engaged and I don't set the hook until the rod loads up. If my rod tip is just sitting there bouncing, I don' t even bother to get up...

10. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    It really depends on what kind of hook im fishing and where i'm fishing... If im using a circle hook, i let them run w/ it a little... while they are still running i engage the reel and let them load it up that way i know that the fish still has the bait... I do pretty much the same w/ j style hooks except when they load the rod i lay back on them... Turning off the clicker... I kind of wait till it annoys me.... if the fish is making huge runs and not letting me gain much i leave it on, makes it really exciting... but if im doing the majority of the line gaining its got a different sound that annoys me so i turn it off and leave it off for the remainder of the fight...

Where im fishing only matters because of where my rods are to where im sitting... if they are by my side i tend to set them faster because i get impatient but if they are down the bank a little bit theres more time between inital strike and hookset

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    BEFORE THEY DROP THE BAIT :eek: !!

<><Baitkiller><>

12. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I try not to use clickers. I set my drag properly and use circle hooks. Let the rod load up and the rest is all history.

13. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Catfish hunter gave you some good advice! I've learned if they are just peckin it leave it alone he'll let ya know when he's found it. I leave all my reels engaged and loosen the drag back to where when he runs the clicker will sing. When one commits the first thing i do is pick it up and give him a good jerk. He'll be taking line and i increase the drag down on him some to get a feel for the size of the fish. Where i'm fishing the current is to strong to let my reel freespool even with a clicker. Also leaving the reel in freespool has always sounded like a bad idea to me because of the variables. Leaving the clicker off is all it would take to loose a rod and reel or all of your line at the least. :eek:

14. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    When using my clickers I set the hook when I get a screaming run and I know he has the bait. Just remember that your clicker is a mechanical device, and excessive use will wear it out very quickly. Believe me. I have a Penn 220GT that I bought last year and after using the clicker all the time and a few hundred rally good runs you can hardly hear it anymore. It isnt expensive to fix just time consuming.