Baitcaster

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by JMarrs328, May 15, 2006.

1. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I've never used a big catfish baitcaster before. Is there a good model that I can get for not a lot of money? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

2. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I would suggest an Abu in the 6000 series, which you can find for the $50 to $70 range depending on new, used, and/or which particular model.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Shakespheare Tidewater, $40 or less at Wal-Mart and a great reel.

4. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Abu is definately the best for the money. I have one that works nearly as good as another reel that costs three times as much.

5. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    hands down i would say if your on a budget and want a good baitcaster go with the 6000 it wont let you down.......

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If your a on a budget I'd check ebay for an abu 6000.

7. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like the Abu Garcia's

I took a red 5000 and a black 5000-c to the reel repair shop today.
    Thems good reels.

I've had both for years and since my reel repair man is getting a little long in the tooth I figured I'd get them put back "new" before he retires.

I figure I can get another 25 or 30 years out of em.

(I have gone through my reels before and they don't always do so good afterwards ... I'm better with big tools like sledge hammers)

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I would say the ambassadeur 6000 or for just a few more dollars the 6500 c3.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd second the suggestion you look on ebay. Just watch the shipping/handling charges and you should get a good reel, some of them brand new, for about 2/3 the price you can get at a store. If it is a used reel, don't go over half price. They will be good buys. You don't have an ebay account, find a friend who does. lol

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you aren't familar with baitcasters ,It is better to learn on a GOOD one . You won't go wrong with a ambassitor. I have had my first one for 30 years and still use it . It has out lasted more expensive reels. Match line and weight to rod and reel . be patient and start slow. We all bcklash them. good luck

:0a26:

:0a23:

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Learned How To Use A Baitcaster On An Abu 6000 That I Got Off E-bay For $30, I Love It. It's A Great Reel & A Great Reel To Learn How To Cast On.

12. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I am personnally test a tidewater but the one thing I would recommend if at all possible is go to a store put one on a rod and get the feel for it. If its comfortable go for it because you will be happier with something that is comfortable.