Baitcaster

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Jan 29, 2009.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Hey Guys, I really want a baitcaster for catfishing but everytime I use them for plugs for bass I get birdnests. I was wondering what would be good to use for big channels and even flatheads. And if they are easier to use because of the weight. (thats what I heard). Any help would be great :roll_eyes:.

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    me and baitcasters don't mix:eek:oooh:, i don't need ta deal with birdnests esp. in the dark of night, i use all spinning gear, my favorite is the shimano 4500 baitrunner, a baitrunner is something good to have esp. if your targeting big fish, a friend of mine didn't loosen his drag and next thing ya know his pole shot into the river like an arrow, after seeing that all my catty reels are baitrunners now:wink:

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I looked at them and I was going to buy it but is there a baitclicker on it? and when you have it set on "free spool" and the fish pulls it out, can you hear it? if you can hear it on free spool when the fish pulls it out im def buying two. i noticed that cabelas has a salt striker baitrunner out and i may get one of them.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37362 <- this guy is complainin about the sound.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Baitcasters somewhat equate to driving a car. There is very few people, no matter what they think, who is good driving a car on the first few attempts. Using a baitcaster definitely proves the axiom you only get out of it what you put into it. The first thing you have to due is set that baitcaster for the line and lure (sinker, hook, bait) combination your using. Any any time anything changes, you must re-adjust the baitcaster. Once you have it set to where the weight slowly descends when you have the release button pushed and your thumb off the spool, you theoretically have it set right. BUT IF YOUR A NOVICE, tighten the tension just a little more. It will decrease your casting distance 15 or 20 feet, but you shouldn't birdnest. Once you get proficient casting it this way, loosen the tension and act like the big boys. I can't fault those who like to use spinning gear or spin cast gear, but I imagine they are just not having as much fun as I do. LOL AwShucks, guess I can't say that either as I really don't know how much fun they are having.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yes they have a nice loud clicker on the shimano, just flip the switch up and it free spools, and can be heard several feet away, i also have a 6500 salt striker with baitrunner, those are also real smooth reels, with a loud clicker and booth have a sealed drag for salt water use, i also have an okuma which isn't bad for the price but i personally like the shimano

6. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    and also on both of those baitrunners you can set the tension of the freespool so that your sunny doesn't run line out:wink:

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I like to use a baitcaster cause of the gear ratio. I got a #38 Flathead lastyear on my 6500 baitrunner. That is about as big as you are going to get around here. I like to use my spinning rod some times when I have to cast really far. Since I fish the bank, sometimes you have to sling the hell out of it to get it to where it needs to be. My normal set up is 2 baitcasters and a spinning combo. I like to have 3 rods, cause when I get snagged up and break off, I have another rod ready.Then while those 2 are out I have time to rig up the other rod.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    All you spinning gear users moan and gripe about being so afraid of getting birdnest because you have never giving it a chance. Most fisherman, even myself, will get birdnest casting bass lures 100 times a day with light line (8 to 14lbs). Now, with any 6500 series model ABU spooled up with heavier line (25 to 40lb), most fisherman with fishing/common sense should have no problem casting a 3 oz weight 15 to 30 yards. it's all about the line.

But please, make sure you reel comes with a clicker if it's stricky for catfishing like my gear unless you are a Deadsticker. Power handles will allow you power to get them out of nasty places.

I tell this to all of my fishing acquaintances, once you start using baitcaster, you'll never go back to the wussy spinners unless you are carp fishing:smile2::cool2::wink:.

9. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I've always used spinning combos but this winter I bought 2 baitcasters, can't wait to try them in the spring

10. tbarb227

tbarb227 New Member

State:
    South Jersey
    i also use the shimano 4500 baitrunner and i absolutely love it. you cant go wrong with that reel. but my next reel will be an abu baitcaster. i have heard great things about them. i was halfway decent at casting them with bass lures and figured it is time to try one for cats. but if you are looking for a good baitrunner the shimano is a great choice.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I tell this to all of my fishing acquaintances, once you start using baitcaster, you'll never go back to the wussy spinners unless you are carp fishing:smile2::cool2::wink:.>

Reps to ya, Tan! I NEVER adjust my baitcaster, for any different configuration of weights. I have NO tension on the spool and just sling hell out of 'em. The MAIN two things when using baitcasters, is to keep your thumb on the spool lightly when slinging the bait out, and IMMEDIATELY braking the spool with your thumb when the bait hits the water. Out of several thousand casts last year, I might have been daydreaming twice when my bait hit the water, and I didn't brake the spool with my thumb, resulting in very insignificant bird's nests. Like Tan said, when you get to using baitcasters, and get used to them, you'll NEVER go back!! Abu Garcia RULES!! :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

12. wetflyguy

wetflyguy New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I also fish with two ABu-6500's love them.
    I use them in the surf -for carp -cats!
    Also have diawa 7500's for heavy spinning stuff.

wet

13. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well for me a baitcaster is the only whay i go. And if you adjust the break on your reel you shouldent have any problems.

14. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Anyone who says they never get backlashes (birdsnests), either never actually used a baitcast rod or lies. It happens no matter how good you are. Mostly when you don't pay attention. Thumbing the spool is the key and practice gets you better at that. Weather the practice being fishing or just lawn casting. Granted, reel setup is important but if you learn to cast a baitcast you can get to where you can set the spool tension very light or none at all. It's a way of fishing you really need to WANT to learn. I think there is no comparison to the power in a baitcast to an equivalent open faced reel. I've been using baitcast for years now and retired/sold/gave away all my open faced except for ultralight trout rods. I still have a Shimano baitcast and Garcia rod that are over 30 years old and they work great. I now use two Shimano cardiff reels and Fenwick rods (cat and bottom fishing), a Abu trrl on a Fenwick (generally my river rod), and a Cabelas compact reel on a Fenwick (for bass).

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I had the old type caster reels and used to be able to sling those things out there pretty good maybe 40 yds. thats when they only had a levelwind on them my dad used those exclusively solid one piece 6 foot fiberglass rods for cattin and carpin thats all we fished for usually.Fishing sure has come a long way since I was a kid.I can't imagin what some of our older members have seen back in the old days compared to the advances of today ,makes you think where fishing is headed:confused2:

16. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi

Too funny Bill! ROTFLMAO! There are plenty of good pointers in this thread. I Once bought a ultra light spinning out fit. At the time I had already made the switch to bait casters a long time ago. Well, I must have put my lure in the trees two dozen times that day. I looked at my fishing partner for the day and ask him if he wanted this spinning out fit? Why he asked, cause if you don't take it I'm going to through it in the river. Needless to say he went home with a new ultra light out fit and I never looked back!
    Bait casters are like you favorite go to lure. Once you have confidence in it and know it will catch fish you always find yourself going back to it time in time again.
    So like Bill says leave that wussy spinning out fit at home take the good advice in this thread start off with short casts work your way up to longer ones. Loosen the reel up as you go, touch that spool as your bait hits the water, you'll get the hang of it. Oh yeah bird nests your going to get them. Spool your reel up with old line off one of those spinning reels until you get the hang of it. Once you master the bait caster you'll never look back! Good Luck! Tim

17. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Question here, what are these thing you call spinning reel, are they something new.:embarassed: Hey I do do have a few but I dont use them that much, there is a time and a place for them.:smile2: For the most part casting a baitcaster you have a different swinging stile, it's more like a sweeping motion, where spinning you just pop it. If you pop a casting rod your going to get the birdsnest.:wink: Just a nice wide ark sweeping motion, that's secret.:wink: Once you master that you'll out cast any spinning outfit out there. And allway's keep your thumb ready.

Abu 6500 with clicker's, 7000's if you can find them. My faveret is a Abu Record # 60 more bearing's more pricey but worth it, it will out cast the 6500. Once you get the hang of it you'll never go back.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Using a baitcaster is like driving a stick shift. You will do more work like having to thumb your spool when the bait hits the water but you will also feel the difference in the power when you attempt to drag one out of the deep. Spinning reels are made for small game and light line. Their drag system is to allow you to fight and play with the fish like Bill Dance. In big game catfishing, you wanna have total control of the fish and get up as soon as possible.

Think about it, most of us started fishing off with a spinning combo. Don't you think as grown men you should step it up a little and use a grown man reels and wean yourselves off the kinds of reels children and amateurs use??

19. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I don't think of the reels I bought as childish reels or not grown up reels at all they will catch any fish that comes at them its more a question of convience and price for me I don't have 100 bucks or more for an abu so I've been using spinning gear since I started back up fishing it just seems easier to me add a baitrunner I got my reels for 45 bucks each new with a year warranty.I like my Okuma reels everyone has their preferences but a spinning reel is just my preference a baitcaster is yours does that mean you are an old man now?:smile2:

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I dedicated my 2008 Catfishing season to learning how to use baitcasters! Last winter I purchased several Abu 6500 and 7000 series reels. I would walk over to a large field by my house several days a week and practice casting. It didn't take long to get the hang of it. As several people have already mentioned it is important to adjust the reel according to the amount of weight being used. Yes indeed I made a few birds nests but they became fewer as I got the feel for the reels. I used the reels all this past year and was pleased with the way they fished. So my advice would be to purchase one and give it a honest try. Its really not hard to learn. I have been using spinning gear for 40 years so I was afraid I would have trouble converting to baitcasters but it wasn't difficult, just need to put your mind to it! :cool2: