Baitcaster trouble

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by coyotechromez, Jul 15, 2009.

1. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I would really like to get rid of my Zebco 808 because, it goes out about 20 yrds then snaps back like a whip and I nearly lose my bait. The problem is I keep bird nestting my bait caster, can ne-one give me some tips on how to cast them.

P.S. JJ I may go down to the river this weekend after the wife gets out of the hospital, you got time to go?

2. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    sun is lookin good for me. im prob goin with dad & friend of his to banner again. if i dont go its cuz i have J Jr and dont wanna be stuck on a boat with him (drive me crazy). i'll take him to the river though so keep me posted on when ya wanna go.

3. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    BAIT CASTERS: FIRST MAKE SURE THE SPOOL IS FULL, BUT NOT TOO FULL, HOLD THE ROD SO THE HANDLES ON THE REEL ARE POINTED AT THE GROUND (THE REEL IS SIDE WAYS SO THE SPOOL IS VERTICAL)
    ADJUST THE TENSION ON THE SIDE OF THE REEL SO YOUR LINE WILL JUST BARLEY LET OUT WHEN YOU RELASE THE REEL. KEEP YOUR THUM
    ON THE SPOOL WHILE CASTING TO PREVENT OVERRUN, DON'T TRY TO CAST IT A MILE UNTIL YOU GET THE REEL ADJUSTED
    PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
    THESE NEW BAIT CASTERS ARE EASY, I LEARNED IN THE OLD DAYS WITH OUT MAGNETIC BREAKES YOU HAD TO HAVE A EDUCATED THUM TO CAST THEM RWG :big_smile:

4. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    Roger thank you for the advise I will look at a new reel with magnetic brakes on it, I have one that has almost nothing on it. I got it as a package deal with rod and reel Bill Dance edition wooo.\

JJ yall catch much catfish at banner?

5. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    DID DECENT THE WEEK BEFORE LAST BUT NOTHIN LAST WEEK

6. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Bait casters and Mono fillment line. I have to use a minum of 20 lb. test and the directions said the min. was 20 lb. Rig up with bait and hold the pole Horzt. to the ground. Push and release, the line should barely drop ever so slowly to the ground. If it does not turn the knob (not the drag) so it does. The cast drag is now set and it should work good for ya. Also I follow the directions by not using more than a 1/2 oz. sinker. Save a fish, hook a duck.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason

I dont think it has anything to do with the braking system because that is more for casting when its windy. What the other guy is talking about is a little diale on the reel side and is used for controling the lure weight. What you want to do is hold the rod up and release the spool without touching the spool to see how fast your lure drops. You want the lure to fall just fast enough so that the reel does not over-spool its self when it hits the ground. And what the other guy said.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  8. gb306

gb306 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Best way to start is to adjust the magnet with should be on the right side adjust it till when you let your thumb off thr spol it should drop steady and slow that is the best way my opion..Hope this helps

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Its a combination of adjustment, knowing your equipment, and holding your mouth just right. Like Roger said practice, practice, practice.

If you make it to the gathering at ElDorado, I'm sure someone can show you some pointers.

10. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What area do you fish? I wouldn't mind showing you how to use a baitcaster if you fish around somewhere that I do. :big_smile:

11. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Just practice i have given up on my 10ft glowstick with a tidewater reel, other people <brian> can Launch it a freaking mile but me its backlash city :smile2:

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Best thing to do with a zebco is when it hits the end like that let go of it.:smile2:

13. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    AS FAR AS YOUR ZEBCO GOES, IF YOU ARE SURE THE LINE IS GOOD AND INSTALLED CORRECTLY ( PUT ON THE REEL SPOOL SAME DIRECTION AS IT CAME OFF SUPPLY SPOOL ). LOOK FOR A POSSIBLE GROOVE WORE IN THE BAIL BY THE PICKUP PIN. IF THERE IS YOU CAN USUALLY FILE THE GROOVE OUT AND FINISH SAND WITH EMORY CLOTH AND GET A FEW MORE YEARS OUT OF IT.

14. duane kingsbury

duane kingsbury New Member

State:
    kansas
    I agree on the zebco and make sure it is full of line, because when I use mine they will stop if I have less than 2/3 or a full reel. hope that helps. stick with the baitcaster though because they are great reels once you get the knack. much better bearings and smoother reeling in the big one.
    Duane

15. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Best advice would be use atleast 2-3oz and when you cast never take your thumb completely off the spool start out easy light toss and work your way up. if it starts to bunch up add alittle more pressure but dont stop it let it pull out the messs. if it burns get a cotton glove sock shirt something because you have to learn the feel for the reel.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    every reel has its own personality. my penn 209s is it doesent like makeing long casts on a 7'm US tiger. so im gonna try it out on a couple different rods :confused2: hum maybe trying some thicker oil:confused2: sorry thinking out loud here.:embarassed:

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    What kind of baitcaster do you got? I have penn's and abu's. Its night and day between those reels.

18. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

19. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    I fish any and everywhere, it is not unusual for me to drive up to three hours away to fish. When i'm goin big I go to the river, mostely the kaw or the delaware. Have not fished at lawrence or eudora...... yet.

20. coyotechromez

coyotechromez New Member

State:
    KS
    Quantum came with the pole only used it about 5-6 times, the adjustment on the side never really work very well. When I tightened it, it did not really seem to help the drop rate, it was either too tight or too loose.