Baitcaster reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fishallday927, Apr 7, 2007.

1. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im looking for a decent low cost but efficiant bait caster that is simple to learn to cast with i really like the ugly cat stick or whutever its called the white one but ive only found one campataPLEwith a baitcaster can u guys help me out o and also is there any benifet with having a baitcaster over spinning tackle? thanks

jose

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6000 or a Abu 6500C3.

3. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i agree with charles i would go with a abu garcia 6500c3 i own to and love them

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Yes, for learning on a baitcaster can't beat the 6500c3, that's what I learned on only about 10 years ago and only took me about 3 hrs. to get a hold of using the reel. It's not completely birdnest prof but when you get the hang of it, it is very simple to use. It is also one of the best overall channel to larger cat reels, I use mine mainly for channels frankly because I haven't fished for blues or flats yet.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I absoulutely agree. The 6000 or 6500 is the easiest reel to learn to cast and has a bait clicker with enough line for just about any fresh water fish you'll be after. As far as expense, you can get them at Wal Mart for a very reasonable price and get the 10.00 mail in rebate to save some more

You can also even beat Wal Mart's price by quite a bit by getting them off of ebay.

Good luck and enjoy!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can find a Abu Garcia 5000 for around $30 used on E-Bay and a 6500 for around $40. Both are good reels and will winch in anything you will ever catch.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    cheeper than that is a okuma classsic pro but its a little harder to cast than the abu

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

You won't go wrong with this advise! Good Luck!

9. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    or pick up a rick clunn signature series baitcaster from BPS

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Drags are tougher on bait casters and you will find they hold more line and the gears on many of the top names are better as well. I am a Penn man myself I use them more than any outher out there. If your going for a brute of a reel then look into Penn's. I will also let the world records speek for them selfs on the abilities of Penns.

11. Phil50

Phil50 New Member

State:
    Il
    The Pflueger Trion 56 or 66 is a excellent reel for under $100. I have two Trion 66L reels and both are very easy to use. Great for starting out with bait casters.

12. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Honestly it is your preference as to whether the baitcaster is best suited for you and your comfort zone. There are many good baitcasting reels out there from Diawa, Quantam, Shimano, Abu, and store name brands.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I ALSO WOULD RECOMMEND AN ABU 6000 OR 6500C3.

14. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    if the drag is to tight don't do what i did... cast the line it
    snapped and watched my lure go right into the water
    nothing i coulda done...yes i was mad so i went to wal-mart
    and picked up another crank bait

15. MaysvilleCatfish

MaysvilleCatfish New Member

State:
    kentucky