Baitcaster or Spinner

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by brand270, Aug 9, 2009.

1. brand270

brand270 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 2 Shimano Bantam and 2 Ambassador 500 Reels with 2 Ugly Stick Tigers 7 foot and 2 Walker Catfish 6 foot spinner poles. Just wondering if the Spincasters are better than the Baitcaster reels that I have?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Most women I know love spinnin outfits. :wink: NAH! Me personnaly I like the conventional reels. Line comes off em alot better and the castin is more accurate.

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I'd have to say baitcasters

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'd have to say baitcasters as well. here its hard to find a spinning reel that would hold as much line as a big baitcaster and I think the biggest down fall to a spinning reel is line twist. but even with that said I do still us one big spinnign reel at the rive only because the way I fish with it when I'm using, it does retreve line much faster than the standard big cat fishing baitcasters.

5. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    baitcasters all the way i think the line dosent loop as much plus you have the bait alert option with the baitcasters. and you can get them witha variety of gear ratios.plus they hold alot of line just my opinion:cool2:

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Like the bait caster no birds nest here.

7. rocco641

rocco641 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    if your worried about line twist just use braid. Im pretty much on even ground when it comes to spinning vs baitcaster:wink:

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Bought my first baitcaster last year and I now have 3; love them!

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Spinning for me . I have used them all my life and I don't have any trouble if I need to wing a bait I use my surf gear and 2 to 4 oz. of lead .

10. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    i'd say baitcasters. less of a hassel,less flex,more direct-inline power,less bulky. Although spinnin' reels can cast farther.

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Bait casters for me!! I like the Abu7000, 6500 or 5000. I've been useing them for40 yrs.

12. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Open Face all ways work for me. Couldnt really get the bait caster thing down.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you gonna get a lot of differant views on this post.folks who use casting reels are going to recomend them and folks who use spinning are going to recomend them.myself i use both but my spinning i use for bait catching,ultra lites,and smaller channels where i need to cast smaller weights a long way.any time i go over 2 ounces of weight with large live or cut baits i go with my casting reels.

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Once you learn to cast a baitcaster you will never go back.Even my kids are using 4500s and 4600s now.It was actually easier to teach them baitcasters when I graduated them from the Zebcos.

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    For me it seems spinners are the easiest to use. But after using baitcasters I have learned to like em. Maybe its just in my head figuring they are traditional type reels. They seem harder to cast for me, and not as accurate, but I have one I really like, and I figure I just need to practice more. I was fishing Sat, with 2 baitcasters. One had a real slow rewind so I went to the other, I was having problems casting at first, but then as the day went on I was getting better. Still not accurate, but even the circumstances were not good for an in experienced caster. Someday I may get the hang of it, until then I just tell people I am using it cause I still need practice and I'm still practicing today.

16. newburghcatfish

newburghcatfish New Member

State:
    Newburgh Indiana
    I prefer the baitcaster, but when I take someone who doesn't fish alot they get the spinners.

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    that is the smart thing to do for sure otherwise that can be a long trip and you end up doing all the casting.

18. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    personally i like baitcasters for big fish, and a spinning rod for lighter tackle. the thing is as mentioned earlier what ever you use you will suggest. in my opinion and if you look at large salt water get if you are after power you def get more of it out of a bait caster. otherwise they would use them when deep sea fishing for marlin and what not. i put my bait casters on long rods 9-11 feet and i have a couple surf rods with spinning reals and i think with practice you can cast fairly close with both reals. i just prefer the strength of a bait caster over a spinning real. however for smaller fish like bait, trout, small cats, and small bass or the right light weight baits, i will use a spinning real. they both have their purposes and are good for that.

19. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'd have to say spinning for me as I can cast easier.

20. littlejomojo

littlejomojo New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use both, like both, but i do enjoy reeling in a fish with the baitcasters more seems like i have more control and power where my spinner seems kinda clunky and odd especialy when it's a biggun.I think it's the larger turn diameter the spinning reels have that make it feel clunky to me.