Baitcaster newbie tip from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Jazper, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Well, after three walmarts later i found it with all its glory (no missing knobs).
    Just a tip for anyone getting a baitcaster and has never had one, there is a little knob that adjust how fast the spool line is released, well make sure its not umm very loose or you will do what I did. BIRDS NEST and I didn't even throw it out. I'm sure that will be the last one I ever have so no complaints out of me. HA .. Anyway I love it. Can't wait to use it!!

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    What kind of baitcaster did you get? Bird nest , happens to all of us.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just make sure ya learned from this. Its an adjustment that must be made when ya make a drastic change in the weight ya are gonna cast.

4. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Sorry in my excitement i forgot to put that info in. Its an Abu Garcia 6000 combo deal.

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    yeah i hear u there, bought 2 6000's from wally world & didnt check it when i bought it. Got home & the knob was missing:crazy: just took it back & they gave me another one- seems like ppl like taking them i guess

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    That is a good tip. Occasionally I will still forget to adjust the tension knob when I change weights/lures. Birdsnests are not fun!!! :confused2:

7. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Jeremy,
    Aslo something else to watch on those reels are all the little screws. They have a tendency to work loose and you will lose them if your not careful. I have four of them and two of which are missing the little piece of plastic that cover the nut that holds the handle on. My advice would to get a small screw driver set, keep in your tackle box and randomly check all those screws. I was not as fortunate, since two of mine the screw backed out and I lost that piece that covers the nut on the handle. rspd507

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I can see the little thumb guard thingy (if that is what is called) popping off and losing it...........Iam a newbie at baitcasting also.............

9. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    You can also have your thumb ready for stopping that line if you feel the "backlash" or "birdsnest" coming. I usually leave mine loose for longer casts and stop it with my thumb. Takes practice though...

10. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    No problem, :wink: bring it out wednesday night. You'll be casting in no time.

11. Jazper

Jazper New Member

State:
    Chillicothe OH
    Casting it is no problem. I had a really nice guy show how me how it was done and I actually remembered what he said. :)

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I dont like to call it birdnest myself i prefer the term professional overthrow:wink:

13. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Those plastic covers that cover the handle retaining nut are around 75 cents from Abu Garcia. I called and ordered 5 or 6 and keep them in the tackle box:wink: