Baitcaster-left/right, right left

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by OhioRiverCatfisher, Aug 7, 2008.

1. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Bet that title got ya wondering what I am talking about! Question: I am left handed and learned (many moons ago) to fish on spinning gear. Holding the rod in my left hand and cranking with my right seemed to feel perfect to me. When I moved to baitcasters I started using an Abu 6500 which is a right hand model and I seem to have done just great with it through the years. When I try holding the rod in my right hand and simulate cranking with my right it just does not feel right. Is there some advantage I am missing that comes with having the rod in your weak hand and cranking with the strong hand? One advantage I have seen with the way I do it (using a right hand reel) is that even though I am left handed I can still use a reel that may be desirable and not manufactured in left hand models. Are there any others that use the wrong baitcaster to keep the rod in their strong hand? I think I saw a post a while back where a fellow was doing this. I thought maybe by using the wrong reel you may hit yourself with the handle but that has never happened to me with my 6500s or large spinning reels such as an Okuma CD65 with large handle. Would the Abu 7000iC3 (thinking of purchasing one but my 6500s seem to do it all) which also has a large handle with be a problem in right hand for me? I used a Tidewater 30 once and can't remember any problems and it has a large handle. I welcome any thoughts you may have on this subject...I'm too old of a dog to change now but sure am wondering about this...Thanks for your comments.....

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I'm a righty, and have always thought left-handed baitcasters made perfect sense, especially for someone who casts/retrieves a lot.

I don't plug, and I'm mired deep in the quicksand of tradition, so all of mine are right-handers.

3. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I am right handed but I like to reel with my left hand. I ordered my 6500's this way. I also have Penn 209's that I reel with my left hand.

I started fishing many years ago with a Mitchell 300 that I reeled with my left hand. I got used to this so when I started with casting reels it felt unnatural to reel with my right hand. Also if you are casting for bass and you are right handed you don't have to switch hands to start reeling if you reel with your left hand.

In short I guess it's what you get used to???

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I never really thought about it, but both feel ok to me, spinning reel cranked with the left hand, baitcaster with the right...

I guess I just don't know any better....:006:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im right handed and crank a spinning reel with my left hand and a baitcaster with my right. :crazy:

6. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I'm right handed and prefer a lefthanded baitcaster.

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im the same way, except my use of spinning reels is few and far between.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Whatever YOU are most accustomed to, and are most comfortable with, is the right thing for YOU! :wink:
    Bill in SC

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I learned on the old Zebco spincasting reels,I have all my baitcasters right hand retrieve,I switch the handles on all my spinning rigs before I ever spool em with line. I just cant see doin it any other way.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I turn my spinning rods over so the reel is on top when I retrieve, so I can use my right hand for crankin'.

I jest! I jest!:smile2:

11. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I guess I'm ambidextrous. Some things I do left and some right. One thing I cannot do is to cast a rod with my left arm/hand. Left handed baitcast reels are great for me. Without them I always needed to cast then switch hands to retrieve. I now only own one right handed Shimano baitcast reel and then only because I've had it for about 20 years and it still works great.

12. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    I AM RIGHT HANDED AND I ALSO CAST WITH MY RIGHT HAND AND REEL WITH MY LEFT.
    SINCE I'M RIGHT HANDED, I CAN JUDGE DISTANCE AND FEEL BITES ALOT BETTER WITH MY RIGHT, PLUS, I DONT THINK I COULD CAST WITH MY LEFT HAND IF I TRIED. LOL!!!!

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I am right handed and cast right handed, Started off getting left handed bait casters real just cuz I'm used to the spinners reeling left handed and like having the rod in my right hand, then I got a Penn jigmaster that has no level wind and then it's when I figured out you got to hold your poll in the left hand and hold the butt of the rod to your gut at the belt line so as to make it easier to thumb the line level because you will need to have your hand above the reel to thumb you line. So now I use my larger rod and reels with right hand reels and smaller ones (6500 class) with left:confused2::crazy: just me:roll_eyes:

14. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am left handed at some things and right at others. LIke writng and batting in baseball left handed, throwing right handed, all of my reels i reel with my right hand and cast with mainly my left but can cast with either in tight spots. My family always get mad cause when they need to borrow a spinning reel the reel is on the wrong (righthand) side for them. I cant figure righties out they want there spinning reels to reel lefty and there baitcasters to reel righty, makes no sense to me.

15. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    same here:eek:oooh:

16. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    spincast left reel down
    zebco reel up right
    baitcaster reel up right

BUT when bassfishin i pich and flip with a lefty baitcaster and have another i workin with learnin left retrieve, does feel unnatural and bass awkards but i am gettin better

17. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    It makes no sense to me for a right handed person to cast right handed and then have to switch the rod to his left hand to begin reeling. This is the reason that all my reels are reeled with the left hand.