Baitcaster left/right handed how do u tell?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by vince, Jan 14, 2007.

1. vince

vince New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use my left hand to reel in with a spin reel then do i use the same left hand with a bait caster?
    Im right handed....
    vince

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Bait casters are typically right handed. To use a spinning reel with the handle on the right side, you have to transfer the rod from the right to the left after/during the cast. Kind of akward, but that's how I do it...:confused2:

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    use what you are comfortable with, I use both but most of mine are lefthand retrieve.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I learned to fish with spinning and fly reels, all set up with left hand retrieve. But, my baitcasters are right hand retrieve. When I've played around with left handed retrieve baitcasters, I find the star drag to be awkward to use. Have to operate it with my left hand. It just seems more natural to use the right hand retrieve.

5. Willowcat

Willowcat New Member

State:
    Texas
    Use your left hand to handle the rod. Use your right hand to make more accurate casts. Especially casting a rattletrap in water 5 feet or less. You'll be quicker to reel after the lure hits the water with the ol dependable right hand.
    Not that I'd use a rattletrap in 5ft or less water. Just an example...jim

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    No one here can answer that question for you... it's a matter of what's most comfortable for you.

If your currently comfortable holding the rod in your right hand and reeling with your left hand then chances are that's what you'll be most comfortable with in a bait caster as well. Not necessarily, but good odds...

It dosent matter what hand you use as long as your comfortable, and you can use your thumb to feather the spool. I'm left handed, but have never used a left handed reel... not even a spinner..

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Bein rite handed I prefer the rod in my stronger hand and arm. Therefore I use exclusively L/H retrieve baitcasters. It used to be a struggle findin them however manufacturers have seen the error of thier ways and corrected that.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Im right handed and reel spinning reels left handed, I reel baitcasters right handed.

9. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Like as it has been said use whats comfortable to you I have both but the lefty is the one for me

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use right hand baitcasters.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    1) When was this type of reel designed?

2) When could they first really cast with it??

3) Maybe that is why the standard fer left/right???

LOL......

Just an Opinion/They r the best for reelin in big fish....yes I'ma spinner!!!!!!!!!!

:roll_eyes: