baitcaster help...please

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by DaveR, Jan 9, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Since I was nice out yesterday I got out my new abu 6500 tccf and mounted it to my BigCat heavy action and practiced a little because this along with a 7000 are my first baitcasters. I figured I would play with the smaller of the 2. I began by spooling the 6500 with 20lb big game mounted it to the rod and tied a 4oz bank sinker on the end. Then I set the spool tension so the weight dropped 10 inches and stopped as stated in the manual. Then I tried casting and I couldn't get any further than about 10 to 15 yards out. After about 4 casts I loosened the tension till the weight hit the ground and the spool stopped. At this point I was getting out a little further but couldn't seem to get enough thumb pressure to stop from bird nesting. should I be riding my thumb on the spool throughout the entire cast? Should I be casting gently because I have a bad habit of really heaving on a rod to get the bait out? Any other tips and help would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
    Dave

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Dave great choice of reels. You first might want to use a 2 oz weight. Next adjust the spool tension so that the spool stops when the weight hits the ground with out any over run. Also dont cast as hard as you can until you get your thumb trained to stop the spool when the sinker hits the ground. When you get used to stoping the spool when your sinkers hits the ground or water you can start casting harder and loosening up the spool tension.

I have 3 7000s and I can cast with out any spool tension and I have the counter balance weights removed. So with time you can get there.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    You adjust so that there is the least amount of resistance, but also that the line doesn't go out faster than the sinker. What I do when casting is use no thumb until the sinker is on the downward arc. I then feather it with my thumb til it hits the water where i then firm up completely. This will give you a soft landing for stealth (as much as 4-8 oz's will allow) and is easier on the live bait.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would say that it would be hard for a person who is learning to use a baitcaster to use a heavey action rod, starting out. I would try a M/H or a M, rod to begin with. Much more flexability and you can get better distance with them too.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Shawn hit the nail on the head. Its all in the thumb. Once you have the fall adjusted properly don't be affraid to let it rip.

6. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Thanks for the advice guys. This is why I love the BOC. The reel is supposed to go on my m/h BigCat but I was in a hurry and grabbed the wrong rod :eek:.