Baitcaster for under $70?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bnt55, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I am in the market for my first "real" catfish baitcaster, now I have other rods and reels but since the catfish bug has bitten me this past year I am shopping for the first of hopefully 3 setups (dont tell my wife). I fish the Ohio River 90% of the time and use live/chopped shad as bait and I always fish out of my boat. Just this evening I purchased a 6'-6" ugly stik to match my new reel to, not sure if I will keep it or not but at least I will give it a try. I would like to keep my expenditure to around $70 with shipping if at all possible, that way each rod/reel combo would be right at $100. I am open to all brands and models, however I do not want a huge ocean reel or anything like that, I like being able to get my palm around a baitcaster for comfort. In the past I have been spooling with 20 lb power pro and a shock leader, but with this new reel I think I will go to mono in 30 lb range due to all the snags and having to "break" free often it can get tough with braided line. I cant think of any other information to help you guys help me....:wink:

Thanks in advance!
    Bill

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Penn 220
    penn 209 old work horse, greared low but very tough, and under 50
    pfluger contender, might have to shop on prices, contender 15, 20, not sure on level wind, on 20 and contender 30, should come under 70.
    I think okuma may have some under 70
    Ambassadeur 6000 or 65, 66, would fall around that range.
    check with catfishsafarie sponser on Boc. handles Okuma that may come under 70.
    Jim

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    A Penn 209 would be perfect out of your boat. The have a levelwind, are incredibly tough, and you can work on them and get parts fairly easily. You can get the US made 209's on Ebay in generally excellent condition in the 25.00 to 40.00 range... The new chinese 209's are 50.00 or so, and supposedly just as good as the US made reels.... 300 yards of 30 lb PowerPro will only fill the 209 about half way.

If you ever set up a big flathead rod, the Penn 309 is a big workhorse of a reel and will serve you well.

4. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There have been a lot of nice Penn reels on Ebay at great prices lately. Avoid the ones with corrosion showing, it probably means salt water. I caught two new Abus not long ago for near your budget price.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    go to wally world and get you an ABU. the biggest your 70.00 will buy

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    A Abu 6000 at Wal-Mart is in the $70 dollar range.

7. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    SHAKESPEARE ARSENAL OR TIDEWATER.THE ARSENAL IS $50 AND THE TIDEWATER IS ABOUT $35. I HAVE SEEN THE TIDEWATERS REEL IN FISH AS LARGE AS 60#,NO PROBLEM. I JUST GOT A NEW ARSENAL,ITS TOUGH AS NAILS. I WAS THROWING 6 OZ. OF LEAD,NO PROBLEM.

8. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA

COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THE ABOVE

9. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    While corrosion is ugly, usually it won't effect the operation of the reel once you take it apart and clean it up unless it is bad enough to compromise the structural integrity of the reel or part. It won't look new, but often you can get a good buy on a reel with some corrosion, if what you want is a fishing reel, and not a collector item. You do need to be cautious and ask questions, but if the corrosion is minor, and the reel otherwise operates as it should, go for it if it's a bargain. I once got a Jigmaster for about 26 dollars delivered with corrosion on the spool. Otherwise the reel was in great shape, and it fishes just like the others I own...

10. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Gotta love PENNS,ABUS,SHIMANOS,and all the great ones. But,bang for the buck,tidewaters and arsenals. I have had lots of reels. These 2 seem to be in it for the long haul. I recently realized,I catch the same size fish on a $50 reel as I did on a $150. Its not cost,its what you need,not want.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am still standing by the Tidewaters!! You can grab one and a Berkley Big Game rod for less than 60 dollars. They work great for me!

12. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    you might check e-bay, I bought a okuma ocean reel for around $ 35

13. iluvcatfishin

iluvcatfishin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have bought several Ambassadeurs off of ebay. All of them were either new or like new condition. $58 was the most I paid for any of them. Here are the ones I bought off of ebay. These prices included the cost of shipping. You just have to watch and be patient and you will find a great deal.

6000 - $42 (Like new condition) Of all of my reels this one is my favorite
    6600 D5 - $58 (New in the box)
    2 5000's - $34 each (New in the box
    6600 BCX - $42 (New in the box)

I wont buy from local stores because of the cost, especially when I can get them for half the price.

14. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I know most people don't like to buy off e-bay but I have purchased all my larger levelwind baitcasters from e-bay and I have not had a problem with any of them. There are many older reels that are great reels. Most are not even heard of buy most of the younger fishermen. Some that I've purchased are Sears,Ocean City,Tru-temper,Immec, as well as others. These old reels are tough as nails. They may not cast a mile but I usually don't make long cast any way. The best thing is the most I've spent on a reel is $25.That includes shipping. JMO Allen

15. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Well I would love to say I took everyones advice :embarassed: but I was up at Bass Pro Shops last week and I bought a catmaxx reel. I talked with the guy behind the desk and he was real knowledgeable about catfishing and he said these basspro reels were a big seller, so after comparing it to the Abu 6500 c3 I came to the conclusion that $60 vs. $90 sounded better, plus bass pro will repair and replace their reels for the first year. I fished it twice so far and I think it is pretty nice reel, the biggest fish so far has been a 6 lb blue cat however I did pull up some anchor line that felt like it was 300 pounds and the drag held, I guess time will and I am sure I will be kicking myself at some point but I would like 3 rod setups all the same and I didnt want to spend over $100 for both rod and reel. Right now I have it paired up with a 6-6 medium heavy ugly stik and the whole shootin match cost me $90:009: .

16. JKrupp

JKrupp New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use and Okuma classic pro 452 and which is a bigger reel but I know it has smaller relatives. I bought the Okuma Blue Diamond rod and reel both for under 70 with shipping and I love them.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a nice set up. I am a big fan of having the same size/type of reels, rods, ect. I guess that is just the army in me. Things have to go together! That is also the reason why price is so important, every few years I have to replace the whole deal

18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I had picked up a catmaxx reel and rod combo, because i neede one more catfish setup. I believe its a good reel for the cost, but the drag adjustment could be improved. I put power pro #40 on it, as alot of guys say the braided line does bind within itself after heavy pull. I don't know if this is more of a problem on this reel. I may try mono when I need to replace line on this setup.

19. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Abu Garcia 6000, you'll love it. And it's way under you're price range.

20. CatKing13

CatKing13 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Not sure how you feel about Ebay, or even if you have an account but ive recently ordered two abu garcia 6500C3s off there and paid for them what i would have one new one. Granted both of them are used but its a cheap way to get two really nice reels. Ive even seen brand new ones go for steals. Saw a 6600C4 sell for 40 bucks! It may not be the answer you're looking for but i think its worth a look....