Baitcaster drag problem?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by veryama1975, Feb 11, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Well, I just got a Rapala 50lb fish scale & since I don't have any fish to weigh, I decided to use it to set my drag. I tied the line (20lb mono) to my fish scale & had my brother walk away from the reel with the fish scale. I had him tell me what it was reading as he was walking so that I could adjust the drag.

The drag didn't seem particularly smooth but it seemed to work OK until it got to between 10-14lbs. At that point, instead of working against the drag in the normal manner, the line that was being pulled out would just dig in deep into the other line on the spool. Once the outgoing line had dug into the spooled line, it would no long come off the spool...it just broke. This does not seem to bode well for me if I ever catch a fish over about 20lbs.

What should I do to prevent the line digging in like that? Is there any special trick to how to spool my line that could have prevented this?

When I spooled my line, I did spool it under a little tension but not the kind of really heavy 15 to 20lb tension that maybe could have made the spool "hard" enough that this wouldn't happen.

By the way, my new (and first) baitcaster is a abu 6000. I love my baitcaster except for this one problem. It would really stink if I finally hooked a nice cat only to have my line break because the drag wasn't allowed to work.
    :sad2:

Any help you could give me would be really appreciated.:confused2:

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Matt if its brand new I would guess that there is bearing grease on your drag causing it to stick. Go to the library here on the BOC and there is a step by step on how to change them out. I would say yours just need cleaned off. If its an older reel the drag washers could be dried out and cracked if that's the case you can change them out for not much cost.

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    With the reel full of 20lb line the drag should be set to slip at about 7lbs(1/3 of the line rating). This is with a full spool, after you cast the actual drag setting will be higher because as line comes off the spool the diameter of the spool is effectively decreased (the spool has to spin faster to let the same amout of line out) this increases the amount of drag. Not sure if I explained it very well but back off of the drag till it's about 7lbs and don't worry about it :smile2: If you hook a big one and feel it is taking line too fast just use your thumb on the spool to apply more pressure. I use ABU 6000 reels loaded with either 17 or 20lb line and catch Flatheads in the 40-50lb range with no problem.

4. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks for the tip! It's brand new...I've only had it about a week and a half.

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks guys! I'll give your tips a try.

6. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    what kind of line are you using. braided lines a known for their tendency to dig into a spool. if you have mono and it digs in that means your drag is way too tight.

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Oil or grease on most drags will cause slip,not lockup in my experience.

One of the benefits of some of the spinning reels is that they wrap the line in a crisscross pattern and this eliminates the digging in so they can also have heaver drag settings.This leaves them more user friendly with thin braids.The best that I have been able to find out 10-14 lbs.is the maximum drag setting for many bait casters and some are under that.14 lbs.would be the drag setting for 42 lb.test line.Some offshore 130 lb.gear has the drag set at 26 lbs.and these are trained professionals in shape to fight fish for hours on 130 lb.line.The two bait casters with .008 thousands diameter 30 lb.braid I have set at 7 lbs.The 12 lb. mono one at 4 lbs.I have set all of my drags at 1/3 or less the line rating max. all of my life including my big saltwater Penns I have had.It has worked for 50+ years for me.Re spooling with tight line is the only other cure that I know of.The wealthy sport fishermen re spool after every fish to prevent this with the huge Marlin,Tuna,Sharks,etc.They can afford it and this eliminates losses due to line problems.It is done by professionals at the tackle shops with machines.Next time you re spool,take it to a Bass Pro and have their line put on.It is reasonable as they charge by the foot and you can usually watch them.They have been doing this since the 50's that I know of.
    I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Good post Peewee.
    Veryama, you didn't mention if a rod was being used when doing the drag test you mentioned. If you want to see something interesting about drags and the amount of pressure a fisherman actually can put on a fish, try this...
    Tie your line to a regular cement block.( I think they weigh about 16 pounds or so.) Back up about 20 feet and try to reel the block in while keeping the rod pointed up like you would when fighting a fish . BE CAREFUL NOT TO BREAK YOUR ROD !!!!! Cause the block ain't comin' !Using line of over 30 pound test is normally not needed except for areas where the line is subjected to abrasion from rocks ect.
    Like Peewee said, only around 26 pounds of drag is used with 100 pound plus line test and even with that setting a fighting chair is needed and the fisherman is normally strapped in. In my humble opinon, using 80 pound test line and broomstick rods only takes away some of the fun of fishing.

9. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Joe,

I'm using 20lb mono.

Jerry,

I had my abu 6000 on a 5.5ft Berkley Cherrywood Rod while I was setting the drag. I'm just going to use this small pole for my channel cattin'. I've got an 8ft Ugly Stik that I plan on using when I get to go after the big ones.

10. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Matt what bettle means is even though you have only had it for a week the reel was made a couple years ago.

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shelf life of the reel can hurt the drag. Let a car sit a year and get in and see how good the brakes are right off. Sometimes the drag can stick from just sitting too long not getting used. I have got used reels off ebay and if they are packed with the wrong grease or too much they can stop the drag washers from working. But since this is a new reel that is not the problem maybe needs loosing up and used a bit. Some advice I can give you from past experience on putting line on your reel too...make sure not to over fill the spool. Once you cast the line will loosing up a bit and when you reel it in it will fill your spool higher, I hope that made some since.

12. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    So, there isn't really any "magic trick" to keeping the line from digging into the spool...I mean as far as how you spool your reel. It's more a matter of making sure that the drag is free to turn: both by having it set right (about 7lb) and by making sure that the drag is properly cleaned & lubricated, right?

Is there anything else that I should be looking for or is it just these two points?

P.S. I only filled my spool to within about 1/4 inch of the rim.

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I noticed your rod.I have a old Berkley Cherrywood 5 1/2 ft. 25% Graphite casting rod with a Fuji pistol grip."CHERRYWOOD" "CRC 16 5'6"-LURE 1/4-3/4-Trilene 10-25-MED HEAVY ACTION".is printed on the rod.I believe I have had that rod at least 20 years and possibly over 30.It has been well used with Zebco 33's,808 & 888 reels and still in great shape and going strong.I used it mainly casting for Chain Pickerel and Bow fin.I also used it as a Channel and Blue cat rod in the Ogeechee and middle-lower Savannah river.This rod has fished all over the Okefenokee swamp,lower SC,GA,and East Tn.It has really been used a awful lot with mono only.Had I known then what I know now,I would have bought a dozen of them instead of one!

14. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    My Cherrywood is about the same as yours except that it's rated to 10-20lb not 10-25lb. Also, yours is probably a better quality rod than mine because yours says it's 25 percent graphite & I think mine is all graphite. Is the other 75 percent of yours glass?

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It don't say what the rest is.I like the old glass rods for durability and taking a beating..

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    always have some pressure on the line when reeling. ive made it a habit to keep the line between my thumb and pointer when theres slack line or low tention. follow the levelwind while pinching the line and before long youll be able to use a non-levelwind reel if you wish, one less thing to worry about breaking especally sence thats usually the first thing to brake.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Matt, I'm pretty sure that you just had the drag cranked down as tight as it will go. In no way should you ever need to tighten it down so far that you stop the spool like that. You are just setting yourself up for a line/knot snapping incident, when a big fish surges. Just fish with it for a while. Just keep the drag tight enough so that it doesn't slip when you set the hook. Drags are designed to be fluid. Tighten and loosen thru the fight if needed. If I need a little extra drag for a second or two I just apply thumb pressure till the fish is under control again. Basic thing is not to have the drag so tight you start breaking off or digging in.

18. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    i have not been able to achieve a 10 - 14lbs drag on an abu 6000. You might like to try spooling your mono tighter if it not already is.

is yours the version with the v shaped spool in the center?

You can try using your finger nails to press into the mono line... if it shifts a little, it might be a little too loose.

exceedingly high drags may damage your reel.