Baitcaster drag problem

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfish_Scooter, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have a 5000 ambassadeur that reels in fine and casts like a bullet, but there's a problem I wanted to see if any of my fellow BOC family could help out with. I noticed here lately that it's not wanting to hold drag. I can loosen it all the way and then tighten it till it cant no more but still pulls drag the same amount, it never gets snug like it needs to.. :eek:oooh:

Could anyone tell me what to do?

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I was having a problem with mine last week. It wouldnt cast further than a foot. I was about to take it to a shop , but took it apart and lubricated
    and cleaned it good. Put fresh line on , too. Now it works like a charm!! You may want to remove the drag control and related components , then operate the reel under force. Look for anything that may be out of place and broken parts when pulling line under drag. Good Luck!! If it's not under warranty , and the aforementioned doesn't work , try a tackle shop or write the company. Also , review the parts list if you have it.

3. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks Mason. I will try and see if this will help.

4. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    you may have oil on your drag washers. or they be wore out. replace all mine with smoothies love them. about 5bucks for the smoothies or 10 bucks for the carbontex washers:wink:

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep a common problem with drags is oil take it apart wipe off the washers and put it back together and see if that fixes it

6. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    If you are using braid it may be slipping on the spool and you will need to put mono on for backing to prevent the line from slipping on the spool.

7. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    Clean the metal washers with brake cleaner and replace the fiber washers with smoothdrag washers if it's not the problem with the braid.

8. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    The suggestion that I would also add beside wiping any oil off the drag washers is to check for any seating problems with the spool. I'm not too sure of that model, but also be sure that the drag washers are put in the correct direction. Hopefully you still have the schematic that you got with the reel. If not, I think that you can get them from somewhere on the web. Hope this helps.

Ray

9. harley5247

harley5247 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    For parts or service try Jerry Foran www.hookless.com I buy parts from him and send reels for upgrades. Great service.

10. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all the descriptive input guys. About the braid, I have all braid spooled on the reel, no mono whatsoever. Thinking about just respooling all mono in the first place. I bet with no mono backing we've probably found the problem.:smile2::wink: Thanks again for the help!

11. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    That's fairly easy and cheap to fix!!

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I can almost promise you that the line is slipping on the spool. That is classic with braid. Two ways to stop that, back it with mono, or tie on the spool, and then spin the spool three times, then tie again. This solves the problem rather quickly.

13. festus

festus New Member

AJ, I have an Ambassadeur 5000C that's over 20 years old, and never had a problem at all with it. I keep it oiled and wiped clean, use 12 to 15 pound test mono all the time and use it for live bait fishing 75% of the time, but also use it for striper and bass fishing with lures. Great reels. They've been around longer than I have.:cool2:

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    You can also put a piece of tape on the spool first, then spool it up with all braid, that's what I do, I myself don't like using any mono for a backer but it does work fine.