Baitcaster bloopers

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dewboy24us, May 26, 2007.

1. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    ok. after being in here for a few days i decided to give baitcastng reels a try. so far it hasn't been all that bad. a friend of mine had an old ocean city 922c in his shed that he gave to me (free is always nice, that way if i suck at it i'm not out money). well i cleaned it up, spooled it up, reread all the how too's, set the brake, made a few short casts with no problem.
    then the fun started, i made a few respectable 30yd casts and got cocky. needless to say it cost me about 10-15 min peeling out a rats nest ... lol.
    well, i'm not going to give up yet. nobody learns to drive in a day and though i may not have the best reel on the market, it should work till i get the hang of it.

2. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    New too. For me it's not the birdnest, it's the trees, getting used to a 10ft. rod. I caught two trees Friday...LOL. These longer rods on hard on a bald head ol fart, who likes shade.

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yep we all been there done that. just keep practicing and u will get it i tied a roud sinker on the end and just started that way

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    I would say you were pretty good, considering you can get a birdsnest out in that length of time.....As nervous as I am, it takes me for ever just to get my rods untangled from each other when I go fishing....Persistance, and the desire to "conquer" is the key to it....I'm in the same boat you are....No birds nest, but distance is an issue....I'll settle for the short distance w/out the birdsnest.....Happy Trails, Dwight

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Don't go think'n that you will ever get over over-spin! lol :lol:Just when you think you have casting mastered the littlest thing (sometimes you cant even identifyit) will come along and Bam! birds nest.lol:roll_eyes: Beware of the dark!:eek:oooh:

6. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Once you get the hang of it, and it takes time and practice, you will be glad that you switched. Cranking power, great breaks, and holds lots of line. And can give you something to do between casts - like picking out birdnests.:tounge_out:

One of the tricks, always adjust the free spool to the weight you are using. And some, like me, have to go a little tighter!:smile2:

7. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    You might try tightening down the spool tension knob as much as you can. The other thing is to remember to keep your thumb on the spool any time the line is going out. Of course, the toughest thing for me is to stop the spool as soon as the weight hits the water; the line speed will slow dramatically.

-- Rich

8. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I have had my fair shares of backlashes/birds nests as well. I put on my weight, hook, bait, etc., then loosen the tension control until the rig falls to the ground. As has already been mentioned, be sure to use your thumb to stop the line as soon as it hits the water. Keep working at it!

9. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    HAHA the joys of backlashes/birdnests. I once picked up Ahquabi_Masters 7000 and went to cast it without thinking to check the knobs (most people already have that done!) He for some reason likes his really loose... 45 minutes later I had finally straightend out what was the worst mess I ever got myself into!!!

all we could do was laugh...

10. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nuthin beats a baitcaster, dont give up. i have noticed braided line dont backlash as bad......but if it does get your knife out.

11. JHow

JHow New Member

State:
    South East

I completely agree. Learn with mono, and soon, you'll be really good at picking out those birds nests. ;D The only time I ever have backlashes now is if my lure/bait gets hung in a tree above me (never good) or if I'm doing some kind of crazy distance casting. keep practicing. It is completely worth it. I don't know if it is because i haven't used the spinning reels much, but I have a ton more precision and accuracy with my bait caster reels than the spinning ones.

I almost always try to slightly over cast my target and as it gets close, apply pressure with my thumb to make the lure/bait land where I want. this sorta softens the landing and helps alot with backlashes.