baitcast vs. spinning - Best Fishing Reel?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by beaneye46, Jan 11, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what does everyone prefer baitcaster or spinning reel?

ps. what do the awards mean on everyones pofiles?

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Myself I like baitcasters, just feel better to me. I like the drags on them and the clickers. I use penn 320 and 309 reels. The drags on these are great. Not sure what all the award things are???

3. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i just bought an okuma that im pretty excited to use.
    cant wait for spring

4. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    By far, for me, baitcasting. More power, and my line does not get nearly as much twist. I use 6500 C3 ABU, 6000 ABU, Shimano Bantam 50's, Shimano Calcutta 400's, and the 7000 C4 ABU.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like baitcasters myself,my favorite is the ABU7000.I dont know what it is about spining reels but i always end up getting the line knotted up on the spool when i cast.And ive been trying to use them for years lol.My dad likes spining reels and does real well with them ive just never had any luck.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I love my baitcaster, but I use both.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I prefer baitcasters, but spinning reels work just as well.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    You can not beet a bait caster reel if it is a good one such as ABU, Penn Shamino and such. They are built to hold more line and the drags seem to last longer also.

9. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I only have one baitcaster and it is used primarily for lure fishing. All my other rigs are open face spinning. Never had one not up on me. My next cat pole outfit will be baitcast. Both work real well no matter if it is a small or large cat.

10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I use both and really hard for me to pick one over the other one.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Baitcaster is my favorite. Abu 6000c3's, 6500c5, 7000c3, for lighter reels, Bantam 250 mag plus which was purchased in 1982 and still works great.

12. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I like my ABU's and wouldn't use anything else!!! I have 5000's,5500's,6000s,6600's and 7000's!!!

I like baitcasters for the simple reason; that the line goes directly onto the reel and the only friction that the line is exposed to during a fight is in the eyes and not the reel. On a spinning reel the line is litteraly wraped onto the reel by making a 90 degree turn in which the line is put in a bind, twisted and flattened by the bail on them. That in turn makes your line weeker faster. JMO!!!

13. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    Now I feel outnumbered. I only use spinning reels. I have an Okuma Epixor EB50 baitfeeder that works real well. My other is an old Mitchell 300. Don't know if there are any real advantages one way or the other. My preference is due to not having the patience to learn to use a baitcaster. I always get birds' nests and then put them back in the truck!

14. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Snobal, I thought the same thing about the baitcasters, but now that I've used them, my two Rhino XL's are gone, and so are my MH spinning rods. I'll only use a spinning outfit for bait, or eater channels.

Ray

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You are not really out numbered, brother, LOL!!! The others that use them on here have not yet spoken on this thread.
    You need to use what you are most comfortable with is all it boils down to. I in no way ment that they don't work, I was telling the reasonsi don't use them is all.

16. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH
    No problem with anyones opinions. The feeling outnumbered was more sarcasm than anything else. I agree with you dreadnought. Whenever someone asks about a fishing setup for any species I tell them to use what they are most comfortable with. I have actually seen a pretty good size cat caught on a Zebco 202 in my younger days! I thought the reel was going to explode before my buddy landed that fish!!

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Surf Spin Here!

I fish the Ohio River 98% of the time banking. I like to tight line with sturdy rod holders vs leaving slack in the line. This way I see and get Flatheads that others would not even see bite there if they free lined. Opinion fer me and what I've seen from others using baitcasters is that it allows the Flatheads to drop the baits IF THEY WANT TO when they run and your not fast enough @ 4:30 AM in the morning. ;) Using A clicker and one of the super lines I believe
    lets them feel the clicker over the mono and I like the atvantages of the super lines vs mono.

Baitcaster are the better reel big time but I would lock them up 100% of the time. I fish the K.I.S.S. method because I get real stupid with lack of sleep when out fishin hard.

I've seen them thar Flatties bite REAL REAL lite for days on end. IF their SLAMMING the baits and coming back IF THEY CHOOSE to drop the baits, it don't make a difference which you use.

An OPINION from what little I've seen.

"Join in the pursuit"
    <><Baitkiller><>

18. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Snobal I'm with you! All I have ever used is spinning gear. Several people have tryed to teach me how to use a bait caster, but have given up in frustration!

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Don't give up on them! Once you learn to use them you won't look back at a spinning rig the same way again:D !!!

20. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I use spinning reels and have never felt I was out matched by any catfish. My thinking is it is the rod and the drag that fights the fish. Big fish are landed by pumping the rod and letting the drag do it's job. All the reel does is take up the line, not pull the fish in.I use large reels that hold 400yrds of line . I can cast a bait caster and own several.