Baitcast question

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am planning on purchasing a baitcaster for bass fishing this year i have never had one i have heard abus are good fluegeur and shimano can you tell me some good ones to use for casting and overall performance thanks

2. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Get an abu in the $40.00 to $60.00 range. (may even find a good one in a pawn shop). Then practice. No bait caster is any good if you won't commit yourself to sufficient practice to learn how to throw. Once you have practiced enough where you can throw it fairly decent, your about 10% of the way to throwing the reel properly. So, more practice. If your gonna bass fish, use line in the 12 to 14 lb range. If heavy timber, you could go to 17 or 20lb test but you will loose some action on the lures. Your skill is determined proportionately to the amount of practice you put into the effort.

4. Hogdogtod

Hogdogtod New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do know what ever brand you get, if it's your first one you might want to make sure it has anti-backlash. A big ball of fishing line is'nt fun to have when the other guys are fishing. You'll know what I mean if you get one, it will happen.

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It might be a little pricey to justify but a Pfluger president is a very nice reel. I own one myself and it is the best bass reel ive ever had. It has an exelent braking system, and it is as smooth as can be.:0a22:

6. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I'm A hard core spinning real guy. My best cast with my bait caster ended woth it sinking slowly to the bottom. I only use my other one while trolling.....hand feed the line out. Sad, I know.

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Is there a website that shows the proper technique of casting the Baitcasters?

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Get u a baitcaster, like a Abu 5000 or 5600 u will be very fun of them once u learn to cast one.

9. Mikeh77

Mikeh77 New Member

State:
    East Alton,Illinois
    Hello All...been lurking here a while...first post though :)

I just recently bought a Abu 6500c3 for catfishin/bass fishing and after some practice im getting the hang of it...it has a real good braking system that helped...started out tight and as I learned I loosened it up more and more. Very good reel.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use a daiwa procaster for bass. it's not bad at all.

hey mike- WELCOME TO THE BOC!!!

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Mike welcome to the BOC!