Baitcast or Spinning

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishbrett, May 1, 2008.

1. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    What type of reel do you prefer for catfishing? I use both but i think my baitcaster puts the hurtin on them and gets them in just a bit faster than the spinning.

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    ABU 6500C3 AND 7000C3:big_smile:

3. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I use both.But I like the baitcast better :wink:

4. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I prefer the baitcast abu 10,000 7000s

5. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i use both of em. like the easier casting of the open face, but i like the power behind the ol' abu baitcaster.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I prefer baitcasters. They are just naturally stronger than spinning reels and handle heavy line better than spinnig reels do.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have heard this before but I would appreciate someone explaining to me why a bait caster is "stronger" than a spinning reel.If you fish the surf you see just as many big spinning reels hauling those big reds,blues and stripers out as you do baitcasters.The spinners usually retrieve more line per turn of the handle than BCs which if you have 10-12 rods out can mean a big difference in time getting lines in to move.Take a look at the PENN 7500s or the new Finnor saltwater reels Those are big rugged reels and can handle anything you care to try and have powered up anything I have had to reel in,including plus 100lb sharks.Personally I think the power advantage for BCs in one of those things that has become an acceptable legend simply through repetition.With the advent of braided lines neither reel has an advantage as far as pound test lines go although from what I hear the spinning reels handle braid better than BCs due to fewer tangles ,backlashes etc.Not knocking anybodies choice here but I doubt if there have been many actual side by side power tests conducted.Maybe we could have a joust with BG in one boat and me in another.See which of us could reel the other in.Of course if I win it would be a state record for the hairiest loser!!!!!!!:big_smile::crazy::smile2::wink:

8. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i use both, baitcasters just have more options to utilize and different gear ratios, high medium and low gearing, spinning reels are just limited on options to a certain point, the higher priced reels both bc and spinning u get alot of nice features, but for the low budget fisherman baitcasters are well worth there weight in gold for there price. imo they both have there place for fishing different types of situations.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I use both, baitcasters and spinning reels, both works well for catfishing.

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use spinning and love them

11. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I use spinning reels and they have plenty of power to handle the big ones.

12. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I mainly use spinning. IMO if you put up the $ to get a quality reel it doesnt matter what kind you get. A quality reel of either type will pull in any fish in freshwater if properly taken care of. That means cleaned and oiled regularly.

13. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I prefer baitcasters since I cut my teeth on 6500's with clickers but have recently upgraded to Penns that hold more line. When fishing straight down I prefer to let out line with a levelwind. I find it a little more controlled and easier to keep track of how much you let out. Plus the clickers remind me of Toad Smith in Catfish Fever.

14. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    TOOAAAD!

I use baitcasters, but my wife prefers spinning. So I end up really using both types. Overall, I would still have to say baitcast.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Power to size/weight ratio is the only advantage bitcasters have. A spinning reel can be just as powerful as a baitcaster but it must be a good bit larger. Compare the size and weight of your big spinning reel to a baitcaster rated for the same line.
    I use baitcasters because I'm probably the only person in the world that can birdnest a spinning reel. Just ask anyone that has fished with me :crazy:
    The only spinning outfit I use is for bluegill fishing with worms and a float, I have to respool it every couple weeks from cutting the birdnests out of it. Everything else from throwing jigs for skipjacks to chunking big cut and live bait I use baitcasters. The only reason I don't use baitcaster for bluegills is the slipfloat knot will hang in the line guide of my small baitcaster.

16. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I prefer baitcasters, I can actually cast farther with them then I can with the spinning reels that I have. I also can adjust the settings when fighting the big ones. Not to mention the clickers that get my blood boiling!!!

IMHO

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a few of both but to me baitcasters are better hands down for big cats.

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well after much study,research and spirited debate we have decided that,TADA;its pretty much what you like and are comfortable with!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:I AM shocked!!!!Either in the hands of a competant fisherman will do the job.I am forced to go back and forth a lot because most guides use BCs and I use spinning.I have never understood the love affair with the clickers though.By the time you figure out which of 12 outfits is clicking and get to it the fish is gone.I know it sounds cool but I prefer the "SLAM" when a big cat buries the rod against the anti reverse.I personally feel after much on water study that You get better hookups by not letting the fish pull line.But agin to each his own.Any man with the talent to backlash a spinning reel gets my respect GRIZ!!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:

19. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Used to be strictly spinning reels. Have since changed all over to baitcasters. Dont think i will ever change back.

20. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    For heavier weight setups (Big rivers) I only use baitcasters, for lakes and not a strong current like creeks, etc I use spinning. Big baitcast reels are a lot harder to cast with little weight and spider up alot easier. But I think both reel setups with good strength line and good tied knots will withstand the big fish with limits. You should be able to reel in double the weight of line you are using as long as your reel and pole setup is good for that weight. Your knot and quality line fall into a big role as well, because you can have the best pole and reel in the world. But if you can't tie a good knot or have knicks, etc in your line then the fish can have more of a chance to get off.