Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Baitcast or Spinning?

• Baitcast

• Spinning

• Other

• Don't care

161 - 180 of 200 Posts
I did not call you an idiot and apologies if it appears that way. I said anyone that would crank away on their spinning reel while a fish is pulling line off is either inexperienced (does not know better) or an idiot (knows better but does it anyway).

Obviously you are a seasoned veteran entitled to his opinion as am I. I did not mean to imply you were an idiot. I am sorry if you thought that was directed at you personally...

I did not call you an idiot and apologies if it appears that way. I said anyone that would crank away on their spinning reel while a fish is pulling line off is either inexperienced (does not know better) or an idiot (knows better but does it anyway).

Obviously you are a seasoned veteran entitled to his opinion as am I. I did not mean to imply you were an idiot. I am sorry if you thought that was directed at you personally...
No problem...by the way...Nice blue cats you caught in those pics!!!. I was just stating the good and bad of both reels, but if I had to choose, I would choose spinning because they work for just about any application out there( light or heavy). Also I like these new spinning reels that has the free-spool clickers on them like the Okuma Baitfeeders...they are nice.

I have run spinning all my life and have a Ugly Stik Catfish with a Okuma ABF40 on it. I also have a Tiger with an Okuma Avenger 65. Both of those are baitfeeders which I like for some situations. That being said, I added two more tiger rods, a medium and a heavy, each with 6501C3 reels from Abu on them. I got them so I can sling more weight out further into the river when I am trying to get to a certain point around a bridge. I can see how they get more distance. I still use my spinning gear most but that is due to me needing to practice more with my baitcasting gear so I don't end up with birds nests.

I like my spinners cause They don't birdnest like a baitcast but am trying to learn how to use a bc without the birdnest results

I like my spinners cause They don't birdnest like a baitcast but am trying to learn how to use a bc without the birdnest results
try the heaviest line you can fit on your reel, and also do the drop down test with the tension release knob. And if your reel has a braking system crank it to max. Those tips alone should help you backlash less. It has helped me, im working on just using my thumb to hold the spool, instead of using the braking n tension release.

I use bait casters for everything I use 80lb braid for my Abu Garcia 7000 and the backlash isn't bad at all with braid the worst backlash with braid has taken at the most 1min to get out mono on the other hand iv had to pull the ol knife out a few times and start cutting it all off haha

I agree with catfishbrandon, ever since I purchased my Okuma ABF Spinning reels, I wont buy another brand or style. I just love that there is a spinning reel that has a bait feeder on it for a fish to be able to run in free spool, and not steal your rod!

161 - 180 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.