Baitcast fishing Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by bamaboy, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

State:
    Alabama
    i was gonna buy a baitcast so i could here the clicking when a cat takes off but i dont know anything about baitcasts:confused: so any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help.

2. NYRiverRat

NYRiverRat New Member

State:
    New York
    Check out baitcasters by Abu Garcia. I dont know what kind of cats yr after but the 6500 series are pretty much the standard for channels. It has a bait clicker on it. If you are after bigger Flats or Blues look into the 7000 J

3. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    I have to ditto Riverrat. So far Abu Garcia has been my choice. The 7000 rules! It`s very smooth and easier to operate than most.

4. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I agree on getting either a 6500 or 7000c3, they are great reels and throw like a champ after you learn. Also the PENN 310 and the PENN 320 are good reels, got 2 PENN 320 GT2'S, they seem to be as strong as an ox, and able to pull anything in---most often there used to haul in BLUES or FLATS.

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Get yourself an Abu to learn with, they are also a good sturdy reel. The good thing about them is you can set them up so that you won't have a backlash starting out. Then after you get use to them start turning the spool drag off a little at a time untill you don't need it any more. Just choose what size you want for the type of fishing you like to do. Don't worry about never using one before, they are so easy to learn to use.

6. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    i got 2 ambassaduer 6000's i like them real good but havnt tryed the 6500 or 7000

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Abu Garcia 6500 C3 would definitely be a good choice! Gear ratio on the 6500 is 5.3:1. You can pick up line in a hurry but still have a little power.

Gear ratio on a 7000 C3 is 4.1:1. You have a lot more winching capability with a 7000 but it won't retrieve line nearly as fast. The clicker is also a lot louder on a 7000 and it takes a little more tension to pull it out. 7000 is great for flathead cats, especially in or near cover.

I would stay away from the Garcia C4 reels. They have a higher gear ratio than the C3 and aren't suited as well for catfishing. Muskie fishing is a different story.

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    everyone pretty much has it covered, so ill just say that as far as im concerned bait casters rule. good luck on your choice.

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Everyone is on the money with the Abu Garcia 6500, but I also like the 5000's if you want something cheaper. I am looking at them right now on E-Bay for around $25-$30 used.

They are solid reels, and they are easy to find parts for it you need to make repairs after the weaqrble parts finally give out.

I have purchased two Penn Roddy 175's, and so far no problems. They will cast a mile. Time will tell how they hold up, and for $30 on E-Bay you can ot beat the price.

10. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You could also get a spinning reel with bait clicker Okuma, silstar, shimano ect. However the Abu's are alot more durable last longer & are smoother. Get uo a good abu & youll never go back to spinning gear for catfish.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id go with an ABU my opinion they are the best i have two 7000s and one 6500c3,and i love them i wouldnt fish with anything else.You cant lose with either one.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ambassador....final answer:D

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    just got a cool little reel ( and rare)a 5601 c4 winch left hand model, this reel is the same size a 5500c3, but has a 3.8:1 gear ratio, 4 stainless bearings, a clicker and a thumb bar release, put it on a 7' ugly cat with some 20# maxima , man I'll tell ya the thing can cast a mile. Just used this past weekend and havn't got a fish with it yet, but I'm thinken it will handle all but the biggest fish and it mite even do that in the shalow ( the deepest 17')river I fish, hopen for a 40# + flat this year but I'll be useing this for the channels mostly, and using my 7001 bg and my big tiger rod rod for the flats

14. bamaboy

bamaboy New Member

State:
    Alabama
    thanks for all the help guys im cat fishin for the first time this year so im pretty excited! Im definatley lookin at an Abu Garcia. Once again thanks for all the info. Good fishin to all!

15. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    o ya going to put some Carbontex drag washers in it seeing it is not 2006 mod

16. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Abu!!!abu!!!abu!!!abu!!!abu!!!:) :) :)

17. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Where can you order these I have 2 6500's would like to replace them.

18. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    the gugs are on the ball with their advice on the Abu reels. I have used them for many years and think they are hard to beat however I have been using the Pflueger trion lately and have to say I like them even more.

Pflueger Trion, the round baitcaster, model 66 it's the only one with a baitclicker

20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Thanks Riverbud