Baitcast Basic Learning!

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catfish kenny, Dec 22, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Id like to explain how I learned to use baitcasters...I sure wasnt any different thn alot of us all who were intimidated by them and didnt know lot bout em till one day I was telling my mentor he had a nice reel but Id never figure em out(Blah-blah) anyways after cleaning a few he reached in his tackle handed me two spools of 15 lb mono-big spools and he proceded to give me this old tidewater30lc cut the string off respooled it ...set it up with 1oz.sinker...most have a tention screw behind the reel handld put yer thumb on the spool....release the free spool lever and tighten that tention screw up so the sinker wont fall...now release that screw to where that sinker just hits the floor and do it agian but lill looser and be ready to stop that spool if you get it too loose ...this simulates what everyone has been telling you..this you must learn ...(LOL)NOW GO PRACTCE CASTING TILL YOU HAV IT..........I find all the old and new reels can be a pleasure to use -least the ones I own:big_smile:...the better the reel the more user friendly..atleast thats how I see it from experience.....over time and you must pay your dues ...you will develope your technique.....paitence..many nest(LOL) DO NOT SPOOL IT WITH GOOD MONO / line AND THINK YER READY-go use them cheap spools and practice with that 1..do it again (LOL)... when you are ready comfertable then ...but only when ya are ready fer the next step..then go get ya a kittey!...get back to me ..clicker beats a bell any day too..... (LOL).I found baits are no harder to use then a zebbey after ya learn em.....shoot aint nuttin:roll_eyes.....................these are my basics.....

2. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    you must have had me in minde when you made this post lol im gona take the plung after first of the year its a pfluger g30 coming my way lol i no i no you are a penn man lol i got a pen time to add a new flaver to the colection lol

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    You will do fine Dallis...& think ya will like em.....I supose they aint fer everyone though!

5. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I decided to switch to baitcast reels, I got rid of all my spinning rods/reels, so I had no choice but to use baitcasters. Sink or swim.....

Oddly enough, what made a huge difference for me was after my wife gave me an Ipod for my birthday. I took it fishing with me, and found my casting was much better while wearing it.
    Why? because I couldn't hear the line singing off the spool during a cast.
    Without the Ipod, hearing that line stripping off the spool made me twitchy, thinking a bird's nest was imminent. I would end up thumbing down on the spool, really shortening my casting distance.

Just a thought, but if you are just getting used to baitcasters, and you have the basics down, try some earplugs, or an Ipod, and learn to watch the bait throughout the cast, to improve your distance & accuracy.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Can't even remember when I started using baitcasters. Sometime as a kid but that was so long ago can't really remember.:roll_eyes:

Never liked spinning reels or of course spincasts as they snag up and are generally a pain with useless, inconsistent drags on them. Spinning reels always seem to twist up the line into a mess.

Go with a baitcaster, take your time, pay your dues and you'll be all the better (and happier) for it.

Oh yes: Practice OUTSIDE! I know that sounds obvious, but my stepson was eager to learn baitcasters last year so I set him up with one to practice with. It was crappy out a few days later and mysteriously the window in the living room got broken (we were not home):roll_eyes::angry: and there was a nice small chunk of glass busted out (along with the rest of it cracked) THAT WOULD SEEM TO BE AN OBVIOUS FIT FOR A LEAD SINKER. Course the story was different:roll_eyes:. Pretty illogical and far-fetched as most stories have been with all the things demolished by teens in our home.

7. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I also used them as a kid and have always been able to use one .
    I own all kinds of reels and use them all . My best one is a abu spinning reel for the distance , power wise is a penn baitcaster

8. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I put heavier line on my first baitcaster and this helped a lot with backlashes. Easier to pick out than really small dia and limp line. With practice I got better and then I moved down in line size. Pretty soon your line tension knob is turned way down and your dang neer freespoolin'. Some guys probably never even use that knob anymore. Thumb power.:big_smile:

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup thumb it and dont stick it in the string or else(LOL)
    Hey anone else have some good learning tips please post them I know a couple fellers round here that are gonna take the plunge into the ultimate kattin experiense & they might appreciate it..

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I think you have it covered real good,,,,, I have a tendancy to thumb the spool when the riggin' hits the water, and that keeps everything working good for me..

The only other thing, is if I try and "force" a cast I usually birdnest it... like in tight cover ,bad wind,,,or something,,

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You summed it up well,Kenny. I hardly ever nest on my cat rods nowdays,Except for the occasional gremlin line wrap on the tip eye or the treetop that jumps out in the way :roll_eyes::embarassed:

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    & yup I can relate(LOL) man it sucks gettin them nest out and there is a whole nutter set of issues(LOL)