bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by tn_5568, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    what does everybody think of dip baits, sponge baits, ect. i haven't used em much but i hear some people have good luck with it. if so what brand

2. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I do not know what brand but a rig set up with a treble a sponge and the plastic cover that goes over the hook with some sonny's 7 or bee jay or even a doughbait can really catch some nice channels.river fishing requires a little more cautious rigging and a heavier lead can help.

3. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    hes right. you can get dip bait tubes from walmart. they have two different kinds the tube or the nest. depends on where you are fishing. i found the nest work better for river fishing. make sure you change your leader. i have had instances where the leader has broke when my buddy has tried to set the hook. we usually use premo. we have had good luck on it.

4. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    what up jeff! also some people use a piece of panty hose like you would with livers:confused2:

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    There some other threads on this matter if you look down the list. Heck,
    we've had comments from outside KS from as far away as NC! For eater
    size cats (thats usually thought to be around 2 to 5 lbs) the prepared
    baits or stink baits have a solid following. Bigger cats tend to prefer their
    food fresh cut or live, but good sized cats still will slurp up a little stink
    bait from time to time especially in the early spring after there's been
    a winter kill of bait fish. I imagine that's because dead stuff doesn't
    run away and they're still a little groggy after wintering over.

6. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks everybody

7. catfish9

catfish9 New Member

State:
    kansas
    very true that the big dogs usually like their cut bait and live bait but a glob of premo on a sponge can do wonders

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey guys I chum for channel cats and I use almost exclusively turkey liver for bait. I release 99% of the so I don't like to use treble hooks. Over the years I've expeirimented with lots of different baits. I do think you will catch more skiers/ weenies on dip bait. Liver may not be a big fish bait but I have caught 5 channels cats over 20 lbs in the last 3 yrs on turkey liver.I also had a day where I caught 60 wipers in one day on liver.Right now I go through 15-20 hooks per trip{either snagged or swallowed}. If I used dip bait the dip worms would cost me $20 a trip.And I would kill a lot more fish.The In-Fisherman guys and all the guides will tell you to use this or that dip bait or punch bait.But remember they are getting paid to pimp this stuff.I'm sure you can catch some fish on it or there wouldn't be so many brands of it. Nobody from Tyson or Cargill is paying me to recommend turkey liver.:roll_eyes:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Very good point Eric. Just because a bunch of guys are pimping one product or the other doesnt mean that it is the best out there. Just remember Ole Ken Paulie caught the WORLD RECORD FLATHEAD with a jig and minnow on a zebco 33 with 12 lb. test. :smile2::wink:

10. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

and if ya beleive that i have land for sale too,lol:big_smile:

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i never really got into dip baits much, to be honest most gross me out to the point i just throw it away.they only dip bait i really ever messed with much was danny kings it caught a few but i would much rather just have fresh cut bait

13. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was running out of turkey liver yesterday and catching channels on the surface.I put out one bobber with a dip worm right in the middle of the school of surfacing fish. The cork with the liver was less than 5 feet away.I caught 4 channels on the liver and nothing ever touched the Sonny's super sticky. The sonny's was kind of old ... still smelled like sh#% to me. So I tried some other stuff Premo I think it was ... jar was unopened still no luck and I caught 3 more on liver. So in one hour I caught 7 on liver and missed several more and the dip bait got no...nada zip zero bites. I will probably drill holes in the jar and throw it over the side for chum:confused2:

14. bigheck

bigheck New Member

State:
    kansas
    We've caught nearly 200 channels this year on dip bait. Premo's,Catfish Carlies,Sonny's,and secret 7. Fish ranging from a pound to 20 pounds. We also use chicken liver from time to time but the dip bait is just easier to apply. Use dip worms and the Looper rigs.

15. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I;m with you Delbert, this last week I had more luck on chicken liver than anyother bait.

16. tn_5568

tn_5568 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i tried the sunnys on sunday. it didn't do too bad. i caught 15 between 3 and 6 lbs. shad caught the most but the dip bait did just as well as the chicken livers.