bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by drifter000, May 7, 2008.

1. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i took my daughter fishing last saturday and she caught 10 small bluegill. i have them in a zip lock bag in the fridge. will these make good bait this saturday? if so , how should i use them, how would i prepare them? any replies would be helpfull.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    You should have put them on ice ASAP and in the freezer ASAP too. They will probably be pretty mushy, If you freeze and thaw them more than once they tend to get that way.Best way is vacuum seal them ASAP. I don't have one so they go in zip-loc baggies straight to the freezer.

My advice is use the head section and use the body section as another bait. The heads are great!!! If they are big enough you can fillet them and use the fillets too.
    Hope this helps!:big_smile:

3. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i appreciate that. i will freeze them next time. i am going to try to use them anyways, mabey ill find a desperate cat!!:big_smile:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

They should work anyway, just a little mushy. Good Luck on your trip, hope you do good. Looking forward to pics and a story!!!
    Glad I could help out a fellow KY Brother!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i am looking forward to telling you all about the monster cat that i am going to catch!! a little wishfull thinking never hurt anyone:wink:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    They will not be bad bait this weekend. YOu should use them as cut bait though and not try to fish them whole.

7. tkeyhunter

tkeyhunter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Heads seem to work best but if you use the bottom half TONTO always puts about 3 diagonal cuts (///) in it with filet knife. Seems to work well

8. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I agree use them as cut bait and make sure to change the bait every so often to keep the sent in the water.

9. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If they are very small like you said I would just cut some holes in them and fish them whole. If they are 4" or bigger use em as cut bait

10. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    Also if they are small but just a bit bigger you could just take a knife and chunk the whole fish like cut all the wat through it like you would a breadstick and fish a chunk of bluegill. They shouldnt be too mushy though. Another tip is when you catch more and you freeze em. I have found it is a good idea to pull em out a couple hours before headin out so they can thaw out a bit. one cutting something that is frozen solid sucks. Two when your bait is frozen so are all the juices that attract the cats. you want your bait fresh and talkin so to speak not frozen sittin on the bottom. Good luck:wink:

11. drifter000

drifter000 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thank all of you for the advice, im going out in the morning. wish me luck. :roll_eyes:

12. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    They way I would use em is cut the middle of the body in half in a angle and use the head part.