Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Mar 27, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I have checked with every bait shop in Topeka and down around Pomona looking for shad entrails.No one has them and they are saying it will be at least two to three weeks at best.
    Does anyone know where you can buy some?

I bought them last Fri at the dock, if I knew everyone was going to run out I would of bought more.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    where are you located because around here in barton county the shad are plentifull with alittle hard work throwing a cast net
    maybe its not to far to drive for you

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Gus...I have some fresh shad but i was trying to buy some entrails in the jar.Last week that was our best bait but fresh worked also.

Might need to leave early and throw the net..

Thanks Again

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    no problem i just throw them back most of the time because i cant keep them alive long enough to get to the river
    except when i know im going to the smokey hell shad and crawdads dead or alive work the best

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    tom,my partner cj (goinfishin) cleaned out the dock of their last 4 jars last friday.if you're not above a lil drive and a lil work you can go to clinton and pick up the large shad from the winter kill and gut em.the marina cove is full of em.

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    also forgot to tell ya that a couple weeks ago down on E550 RD, i went down there to pick up dead ones and ended up getting all live ones just dipping them with my net.if i would have had a throw net i could've filled up the back of my truck.most of em were a lil out of reach for the net.im talkin 10"-14'' shad in less than a foot of water

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I bought some last weekend, @ 9 bucks a jar,.... OUCH.
    Maybe their using shad oil to make gas. :wink:

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Caleb...Cj must of been there after me on last Friday because i just bought one and left thinking i could by more later if needed.Little did i know that everyone was about out.

I did find some up north of town but he wants $9.50 a jar:confused2::confused2::confused2:

i was going to melvern on Sat but i think now I will go to clinton and try to pick some up and just fish there...Thanks Again for the Info.....

By the way did you make it to Perry today?

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The sign in front of the bait shop in Clay Center says they have them. I don't know how far you want to drive though. Let me know if you want to make the drive, I will stop in and make sure they have some. Or if you want to fish Milford sometime, I can stop in and pick some up for you and meet you at the lake.

10. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Are you allowed to catch them on your own down there if so you can use a throw net you should catch some

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks Jay for the offer.I did find some about 20 miles from here for $9.50 a jar:crazy:...He knows everyone is out around here and jacked them up.I went ahead and bought some but will know next year to stock up a little better.
    I usally dont use a lot of them but right now they are working better than fresh cut for me so i dont want to go without them.

Thanks Again

12. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Yes we can net shad here in Kansas Matthew trouble is they are a little hard to net right now with the water in the 40's because they tend to be deep.
    You can get them but a lot of work.
    We have a big die off each year when the ice goes off the lakes where you can fill buckets up but i didnt get out to get many of them this yr so now i'm paying the price.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    They have them here in K.C. or at the very least you can use some Murphy's.

14. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    you guys know where a good place is to get some live shad on clinton? kinda new to the area but where is marina cove? i walked around the north part of the lake in a wildlife area trying to scout out turkey and came across a lot of dead big dried up shad way up on the bank but didnt see anything in the water.
    jake

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice flatheads good job to high for me:wink:

16. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Jake

I can't help you on the shad. The Marina Cove can be seen from this link.
    http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/st..._all_state_parks/(location)/12545/(last)/9766

Just zoom in and pan around from the satellite or hybrid mode and you can see where the marina is at Clinton.
    That marina cove seems to be a good place for kayakers. Anyhow on a couple occasion while fishing in there I've seen a fellow paddling around the shore line in behind the marina.