bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by tigger_tat_55, Mar 17, 2008.

1. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    any of you cali folks make your own dip/stink bait??

was thinking i would give it a try befor the gathering. I have printed all the stuff from the library they look good also going to try a few different things with it.

I have had good luck on the river and mendota with cured liver just wanted to try somthing new.

any thots??:roll_eyes:

2. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Keep rubbing it in Tim.......:smile2: Don't know why you and wife caught them cats when you gave me your bait and left, I took your bait and went to same spot. NADA!!!!! What the heck? :smile2: Phillip laughed so hard about that i thought he was gonna fall into the river:roll_eyes::tounge_out::smile2:

Oh....Make sure you vent that bait too. I had some expand one time and put me in the dog house for a month:cool2:

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Sounds Like you have a story behind that Robb :wink: - so are you going to share that with us all now or do we have to wait for the BS Talk that we are going to have at the Mendota Gathering Camp Fire while night fishing?
    LoL

4. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    robb,

ill keep that in mind. wife does not let bait in the house, so I should be safe:wink:

robb do you plan on doing any swiming this year??

going to try a blood/liver mix..will see.....

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It depens on the weather:smile2: All I know is I will not take shots of Makers Marks for ever 3# fish caught. That was my firstmistake to play with Linz.....Second mistake was getting to close to the edge of river:roll_eyes: 3rd mistake was....did I say taking shots with Linz?????:smile2:

Nope, plan on staying dry this year:wink: lol!!!!!

You are on a roll Tim....:smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    it has been to long since i fished up your way. was april 05 the last time I got up there. If i can save a bit of money, ill make it in april.

any ideas on bait? what did you use, how did it work?

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    seems like in my neck of the woods that dip baits/doballs work best when the warter is the hottest. oh wait you guys don't have cold winters do ya.:eek:oooh:

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Robb,

"I had forgot all about that" ":smile2: :0a20: :smile2:
    LoL :happy: LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

There were much to many fish caught at that Gathering for that game & like you said - you were playing to close to the edge Buddy.

But we did have some fun at that Gathering. :0a23:
    :wink:

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Tim, I have been experimenting with scent attractants.
    I been using a mix of anise, menhaden, crab, anchovy and a couple of other oils, trying to figure what mix works best.
    Smells mostly of the anise and drives my dauhter up the wall when I mix up a batch, 'cause she hates the smell of anise.

10. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    what is menhaden??

use to use gizzard shad when i was a kid....dont know that we get here in cali.

just picked up a blender at the 2nd had store...going to give it a try this weekend. prob wont get to the river for a few weeks tho.

11. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Tim, The best dip bait I found that work the best at the river is Magic bait Premo blood super sticky from catfish connections $5.36 for 37oz pale. That and about 6 pks of loops rigs and your set to load the boat with channel cats. You can't make your own that cheap. Bill

12. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Jason, sure we do, mid 50's:smile2:
    I been to your state Jason, really pretty was just amazed how green and lush your woods are. I have also been to Ken Lake for the National gathering in 2006.

Jaime

13. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
  14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hey guys, Has anyone ever caught a Blue Cat out of the Duct. Of all the fish I have ever caught out of their I had never caught a Blue, Until today, You are not going to believe this , I caught a 14 Pound Blue cat today on Chicken liver, My day is coming, for a big fish, I just know it is.

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hear is a picture Of that blue Cat that I cought today. I guess that is what it is, I never seen one before.

Attached Files:

16. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    Blues have 30 to 34 rays on the anal fin and the bottom point of the tail fin is slightly longer than the top point.

17. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everybody, please correct me if I am wrong but that fish looks like a channel cat to me Phil.

Jaime

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey phil... I think Jaime is right. Looks to be a channel. Capt Steve said correct count them rays on the bottom (anal fin). Anyway....Them some nice cats you being blessed down there in the duct. Gonna have to get down that way and experience some duct fishing with ya. Maybe an Aquaduct gathering some time?:wink:

19. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Yup, the anal fin is the way. 30 or more rays and it's a blue, 29 or less and it's a channel. I've caught lots of big channels that are darker than the one you are holding catfish slick. It is more common for the big males to turn a dark color.

Regardless, nice fish and congrats on the catch

20. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Ok, Could be Jaime, Now what is that cat in my avatar. I thought it was a channel. To totally different colors.