The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I like to use carp and green sunfish and shad for flaties and use shrimp and sand toads and night crawlers for channels

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Eric, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Be sure to check out the library, a lot of good info in there.

Our #1 bait for blues is skip jack fresh or frozen, fished whole or cut.
#2 would be fresh caught shad, fished whole, live or cut.
#3 would be Danny kings punch bait

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Hi Eric! Welcome to the BOC. To start. What type of cats are you targeting?For starters, I prefer livers, stink bait; experiment with different brands, shrimp and nightcrawlers for CHANNEL CATS. Live bait, like shad, bullhead, shinners, small carp, goldfish, etc. for FLATHEADS. For BLUES, fresh cut-bait like shad, skipjack, etc. Ask around and talk to the locals where you fish. I'm sure you can find the truth in someone. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!:0a26::006:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I can't guarantee that it will be the same in your area, but up here on the Arkansas River, you can't beat fresh shad or skipjack for blues and channels, although you can have pretty good luck with other baits, such as cut bream, for channels. Cut bait will catch the occasional flathead in the spring, but you'll definitely be better off using live bait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have some friends in De Quincy that fish the Sabine river. They use a soap bait on their trot lines. I never learned how they make it but im sure one of the locals could tell ya. They use cottonseed cakes in their hoop nets too. Thats a great state yall live in. I always have a great time there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts