Bait??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Jason G, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Anyone been out fishing? I plan on hitting the water for the first time this year as long as there is no ice out there. Anyone else that has been out been catching any bait? I will be putting in at Kaw Point.

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Keep us posted.

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    mariofish try dog food in a trap:big_smile:

4. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    This time of year you might try just going to your nearest lake, perhaps Smithville, and throwing the net under a bridge. You may have to go down 40' or more to get them. That has worked for me 9 times out of 10 this time of year. It's a little out of the way, but at least you won't spend half the day driving around the river looking for bait.

5. lbaker3

lbaker3 New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Assuming of course the lake isn't iced over. Supposed to get in the single digits tonight. So ice may well pose a problem on the lake this weekend.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Interested to hear what you catch. Water is way to high over here to do anything

7. JoeFriday

JoeFriday New Member

State:
    Indep. missouri
    speaking of bait..Anyone have any ideas of what might be working good right now or this time of year? I just bought a bait net so im gonna give that a try...Any laws against them? I thought about going to the boat ramp and blue springs lake and just practice.

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    here in NEB i been catchin cats out of the lakes 1-3 lbs on liver and once in a while i get one on a dead minnow. but as for the river goes too much slush flowing right now but the butcher set me up with some cut bait from his fillets! hope to get out and try it out this weekend.

9. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I would say any cut bait that you could get ahold of. Shad, Herring, Skip Jack, Carp. It all depends on if you are able to locate them in this cold water this time of year. I would think you would have to go about 30ft or so to find anything good.