bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by pfoster, Feb 1, 2008.

1. pfoster

pfoster New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have used all kinds of bait. i've tried perch, gills, sunfish, bullheads, Even drum. Has anyone else tried drum? Any good results or should that bright idea just be scrapped?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I couldn't catch any bluegils or skipjack I would use a drum...for sure

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Drum can be excellent for bait for flatheads. I think they have a "rock" in their head that rattles and that calls in the flatheads.I prefer bluegill, they are easy to catch and plentiful.

4. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    As other members of the Brotherhood have attested, bait selection depends on what the cats in the area tend to be used to. Skipjack herring don't live
    in Milford, for instance and tend to be less effective than the local shad for
    the cats in that body of water. I don't see any reason that a drum, live or
    cut would be any less effective than carp or shad in our waters.
    Shad are a little more oily and smelly so they'd tend to draw attention from further away. So one would tend to put them higher on the list. Bluegills have spines, but most cats interested in eating them wouldn't consider that much of a problem if they took them headfirst. Anyway, for as much difference as it makes, drum of the right size whole would be on the short list of a big cat's menu of preference.

5. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have caught a lot of eater sized cats on drum. Smaller cats are not picky they will eat anything.

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THEY ARE GREAT FLATHEAD BAIT

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Pretty much anything with scales will make a decent bait in a pinch. Just make sure it is a legal scaled fish you are using. I've got a pretty good collection somewhere around here of those white rocks in their heads:smile2:.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I've tried cut and small drum(caught while castnetting for shad), never had much luck with either. Could be I just didn't leave them on long enough, but I did have other bait on at the same time and was catching Cats?
    We've had real good luck with cut carp though.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Don't use drum. There not that great for bait. I have never ever caught a fish on drum. I don't know how many times I have tried them but it's countless. There not allowed on my boat anymore. I catch them in my cast net every time I go and get bait. From the little 6 inch size all the way to the 4-5 pounders. Stick with quillback or carp. Ask anyone that fishes the missouri or kansas river around here and they will tell you the same thing.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I have a buddy that has caught some nice blues on cut drum, but it's never worked for me. At this point it's pretty much my last choice for bait.

11. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Not so fast there...I have caught plenty of fish on drum. Maybe you just don't know how to use it properly. Considering who you fish with I can see why.

12. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've caught several nice blues off drum heads. I was low on bait once and caught a 30lb and a 42lb blue back to back off the same drum head on the Kansas River.

13. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Many, many years ago, I used to fish for stripers below Keystone Dam in OK. Several times I fished beside an old man that claimed to be there every day he could. We'd net shad and when an occasional small drum would pop up in the net, the old man was all over it. He said nothing, but nothing was better than small drum for stripers. It sure worked for him.....I saw him catch a lot of striper on those small drum.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Drum have been one of my prime baits to use. When I am fishing for all cats. I use them live up to 8 to 10inches, other wise cut. The only part I don't use is the very end of the tail. At times I have used a 5lber in night of fishing.

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Shad (preferably cutters) for blues And gills for flatties or 8-12 inch smallmouth if i can.

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    When the shad are that is my main bait of choice. I like them about 8 to 10in live and cut.

17. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish catfishcrazy big blue