Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by 314 CAT, Aug 17, 2007.

1. 314 CAT

314 CAT New Member

State:
    St.Louis MO.
    Have any members ever used chiken gizards ????????:confused2:

2. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, it actually worked as well as Chicken livers only they stay on the hook ALOT better.

3. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    there is a threadf in the homemade bait forum concerning gizzards, sounds like most dont have much luck with them, but some people say to soak em in liver blood and garlic salt, personally ive never had any luck with any chicken parts except livers. and if they arent hittin livers, they arent hitting anything..lol

4. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I've never used the gizzards but I have caught small fish on chicken livers and I have caught blues up to 25 lbs on chunks of chicken breast filets.

5. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    i never thought of using breast meat..but it sounds like a wast of good chicken tome...lol

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've tried chicken livers and gizzards side by side on several occasions, and caught fish on the livers, and didn't catch anything on the gizzards. Both were just as they came from the grocer's shelf, though, so soaking them in anise, vanilla, or whatever might make all the difference in the world. Personally, if I'm depending on the flavoring to attract the cats, I prefer to use chitlings. They'll soak up the scent just as well as the gizzards, and they'll stay on the hook till you take them off. I've had success putting bait sized pieces in a ziploc bag with garlic powder, with anise, and with the contents of some shrimp flavor packets from Ramen noodles.

7. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    chittlins? never woulda thought of using em,..thats something i wouldnt feel like i was wasting..couldnt waste food like chicken breast...lol

8. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i know chicken hearts work well, but i have never had any luck with gizzards.

9. charlestoncatman

State:
    arkansas
    the only luck ive had with hearts is keepin em on the hook..not one bite ever...but my buddy swears by them...sprays em with garlic spray...i guess i could try it sometime

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    welcome to the boc eric! i have used gizzards with mixed results, sometimes they did as well as livers, sometimes not. they sure do hold a hook though!

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have used gizzards on trotlines in running water becauase they stay on so well. Chicken hearts are great but harder to find that the livers. I prefer the hearts for rod and reel. Welcome to the BOC.