bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by bluecatnut, Nov 28, 2005.

1. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    i have been reading in another thread that people have alot of luck with eels i was wondering if we had eels around here

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've caught eels while trotlining in the Arkansas River at night, so I would think that they would be in the Tennessee River as well.

3. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My wife caught an eel once on the Cumberland and so did one of my friends when we were fishing up near Lock B. They are in there that's for sure.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    so my next ? is how would be the best way to catch em would i have to use a trap or what

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    These eels were 4 foot long at least. LOL Good for cut bait I guess. Two eels in about 14 years of fishing the Cumberland. Not many for that amount of time. The ones we caught were on skipjack and liver. I have a pic somewhere at home I'll post if I can find it.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey Dusty when I lived in New Jersey we would catch alot of them at night on nightcrawlers, in a rather large pond. I would suspect around here they would be found more in large ponds and creeks. From my experience, I would catch alot more of them at night. But I wasn't fishing for them would just wind up catching a few. I would think they would be pretty good bait. :cool:

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    today me and tncatfisher went to the steam plant and caught 2 5 gal buckets of skipjack in about 1 hr they were hitting well and the shad were thick i trow and you could fill a 5 gal bucket today was a great day

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    All the ells I have seen are about 2 to 3 feet long and are slimy as heck. Do you use them as cut bait? :confused:

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Top, I use them live alot for BIG cats and BIG stripers and they work great, but you can also cut them into chunk's and they work awesome! Blue Cats (as well as all other big fish) love them in the spring because eels eat their eggs so they attack them just to kill them alot of times. Also if you use chunks of eel than it's very hard to get your hook out of the chunk because there skin is so dang tough.

good luck :)