Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
moose,
I've tried chicken breast with no results at all.
My go-to baits are live bream, cut bream, live chubs and shad. In water where they are found skipjack is a great bait. Suckers are good bait as well as drum. I haven't used it but I hear good things about asian carp. When fishing for eaters, nightcrawlers will get the job done.:)

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,487 Posts
I don't even know where to find carp around here. Just panfish for me, I bank fish. We got bait shop with expensive skip jack but it's all frozen
Jeff,
Unless it’s very well prepared, I would take fresh shad over frozen skipjack.
You are right next door to Raccoon. An early morning tour of the boat ramps and docks with a cast net should result in some fresh shad.

…W

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't even know where to find carp around here. Just panfish for me, I bank fish. We got bait shop with expensive skip jack but it's all frozen
Carp are in a lot of waterways. Our local rivers, lakes, and ponds all have 'em. You can usually catch them in the shallows. My preferred method is to get a can of sweet corn, mix a little imitation vanilla extract with it, then put about 3 kernels on a small, but sturdy hook. I use a fishfinder rig with a small egg sinker above a swivel and a leader. Throw out a handful of corn, cast in the middle of it, then keeper your line tight and your drag fairly loose. Carp hit like a freight train once they realize they're hooked. A single small one should be enough bait for a trip! Here's a video of the set-up / results:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've normally always used shad and occasionally during summer I would use the big yellow grasshoppers but last week had done some more reading about people using garlic chicken so decided I'd try it. Got up early Sunday morning and cut up some breast halves and covered one side in garlic powder and placed in a container knowing I may not be able to get shad when I got to the river. A couple hours later got to the river and started trying to get some shad which were plentiful but on the small side many going through the cast net but after having several of the biggest (still small) we decided to fish. Baited 4 rods 2 with shad and 2 with garlic chicken. Lines weren't wet very long before a small channel was caught on shad then about a 3lb blue was caught on chicken. Evidently the small ones were biting the shad because all they wanted to do was peck the shad or take the tail off when they ran with it. The chicken on the other hand was proving to be a bait that I wish I'd been using a long time ago because after about 4 hours of fishing we ended with 18 channel and blues all weighing between 2-5 lbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts