Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Chicamauga yesterday hoping to find shad. Actually went down highway 11 to yard sales. For those who dont know Highway 11 has sales just like 127 every year on the weekend after mothers day. Anyway there were no shad or skippies to be had. I tried for a couple hours without a hit. There were lots of people fishing with crickets for blue gill and catching one about every cast. These were true blue gills and big ones. several left with 5 gallon buckets 1/2 full of blue gills. Only one guy fishing the wall the two middle generators were running so it took a pretty good cast to reach them. He picked up a drum someone had thrown in the rocks and cut it for bait. While I was there He caught 2 blues around 15 pounds each and 3 small ones.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I went fishin the other day and tried to catch skipjack and only caught one.. I caught it on a live minnow. He was nice size, id say 2 lbs. Caught a few others as well, a nice bass and 6 bluegills. Tossed a jig.. I had one very hard hit on it and hung it but it let go. I was so mad. :Mad:
That might have been a bigger bass that got away from you, Aaron. Sometimes they're prone to get escape the smaller jigs. The last few times I've been fishing I have caught enough fish to make a meal, but I released everything anyway. Haven't been able to catch over 6 keeper crappie in one outing. This spring I haven't caught a cat over 5 lbs, they've mostly been channels and flatheads from 14" to 22" hitting live minnows or cut bluegill. Last year Melton Hill Dam was running 2 generators constantly, not the same this year, they're only running one generator maybe an hour or two a day and it's always when I can't be there. I haven't seen a skipjack this year, but caught them at Bull Run last year and they're not generatng at all now.

Hey Frank, usually there's plenty of threadfin and gizzard shad anywhere from 2" to 8" in MH Reservoir over around Carbide Park. A cast net or long handled dip net could get them. I haven't been this year but might mosey on over this week. Heard of anybody catching any cats in the Little/Big Emory area? Every time I've been down this year there hasn't been any boats launched at the ramp but it's always been weekdays.

Maybe I would do better below Ft. Loudoun, at least there is always some water running down there.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That might have been a bigger bass that got away from you, Aaron. Sometimes they're prone to get escape the smaller jigs. The last few times I've been fishing I have caught enough fish to make a meal, but I released everything anyway. Haven't been able to catch over 6 keeper crappie in one outing. This spring I haven't caught a cat over 5 lbs, they've mostly been channels and flatheads from 14" to 22" hitting live minnows or cut bluegill. Last year Melton Hill Dam was running 2 generators constantly, not the same this year, they're only running one generator maybe an hour or two a day and it's always when I can't be there. I haven't seen a skipjack this year, but caught them at Bull Run last year and they're not generatng at all now.

Hey Frank, usually there's plenty of threadfin and gizzard shad anywhere from 2" to 8" in MH Reservoir over around Carbide Park. A cast net or long handled dip net could get them. I haven't been this year but might mosey on over this week. Heard of anybody catching any cats in the Little/Big Emory area? Every time I've been down this year there hasn't been any boats launched at the ramp but it's always been weekdays.

Maybe I would do better below Ft. Loudoun, at least there is always some water running down there.
I went down tuesday behind the paper mill. Only caught 11 bream but had last years shad with me. I put out 34 jugs and left them over night. Picked them up tuesday morning had 1 blue about 2 lb. and a squealer that might have went 1/2 lb.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I went down tuesday behind the paper mill. Only caught 11 bream but had last years shad with me. I put out 34 jugs and left them over night. Picked them up tuesday morning had 1 blue about 2 lb. and a squealer that might have went 1/2 lb.
Hey Frank, in the past which has been more productive, upriver where you were or more downriver? I'm sure glad to see you got out there.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Frank, in the past which has been more productive, upriver where you were or more downriver? I'm sure glad to see you got out there.
I have always done better from the curve in the river by webster down to sportsmans club. Always got a couple 40 lbers there by webster. Just so hard to launch on little emory and the river is still closed at the mouth of little emory. I have had fish carry jugs from little emory all the way to the skimmer ****.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I fished really close to that bend in the river Thur evening. It wasn't on the Emory but that slough that runs under Webster Pike. I was fishing for bluegills to use for cut bait and was surprised there were still crappie in there this late. Got 3 keepers and one throwback in just a few minutes on a tiny marabou jig. Pretty sure I could have gotten more crappie if I tried. I turned them back after I got enough bluegill. Also had another surprise when about a 1 lb channel cat hit the jig. I got two more small cats on bluegill fillets, biggest was right under 2', a flathead, caught another smaller flattie on a goldfish. I haven't caught any blue cats there this year.

You mean TVA won't let you any farther down the big Emory than at the junction of Little Emory and Emory??

Frank, do you know where the old Harriman Dragstrip site is located there on the north bank of the Emory? It closed down in the late 60s or early 1970s. At one time I'm pretty sure it was an airport, but that was well ahead of my time. Some dern good fishing down that way or at least used to be.
I have always done better from the curve in the river by webster down to sportsmans club. Always got a couple 40 lbers there by webster. Just so hard to launch on little emory and the river is still closed at the mouth of little emory. I have had fish carry jugs from little emory all the way to the skimmer ****.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I fished really close to that bend in the river Thur evening. It wasn't on the Emory but that slough that runs under Webster Pike. I was fishing for bluegills to use for cut bait and was surprised there were still crappie in there this late. Got 3 keepers and one throwback in just a few minutes on a tiny marabou jig. Pretty sure I could have gotten more crappie if I tried. I turned them back after I got enough bluegill. Also had another surprise when about a 1 lb channel cat hit the jig. I got two more small cats on bluegill fillets, biggest was right under 2', a flathead, caught another smaller flattie on a goldfish. I haven't caught any blue cats there this year.

You mean TVA won't let you any farther down the big Emory than at the junction of Little Emory and Emory??

Frank, do you know where the old Harriman Dragstrip site is located there on the north bank of the Emory? It closed down in the late 60s or early 1970s. At one time I'm pretty sure it was an airport, but that was well ahead of my time. Some dern good fishing down that way or at least used to be.
No I don't think I ever heard of the drag strip. I stopped at anchor launch one day and a guy came in from bass fishing. said he hadn't caught any so I asked if he had tried the sand bars by sportsmans club. He told me there were skimmers across the mouth of little emory with signs that the river was closed. I have to check it out. My son and I were talking the other day . He mentioned there is no shallow water around harriman and I needed to go where there were feeding flats for the fish. I think with this new roller trailer I bought I can launch at anchor.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I saw several TVA vans at that boat ramp on Webster Pike a few weeks ago. And
TVA had a boat trailer or two setting there also. I wouldn't doubt that was when they were putting up that skimmer. Wonder why they would even need a skimmer that far upstream? It's at least 3 or 4 miles down the river to the spill. Knowing TVA and how slow they are, they may never get that river dredged during our lifetime. TVA ought to be made to restock that area with fish. I don't see how they'll ever get it back to normal. That area had plenty of blues and flats from 40-80 lb or more.

Mon or Tue a friend's coming from Knoxville and we might try that other spot on Little Emory we were talking about. I don't remember ever fishing for catfish down there but somebody does. The day I stopped and looked there were several chicken liver and nightcrawler cartons down there and some empty Magic Bait bags. Somebody even left a child's pair of Gore Tex boots lying there. I still got some frozen shad minnows, some frozen trout, about 3 doz goldfish and some nightcrawlers. I've had more luck down Webster Pk with cut bluegill and nightcrawlers than anything else.

No I don't think I ever heard of the drag strip. I stopped at anchor launch one day and a guy came in from bass fishing. said he hadn't caught any so I asked if he had tried the sand bars by sportsmans club. He told me there were skimmers across the mouth of little emory with signs that the river was closed. I have to check it out. My son and I were talking the other day . He mentioned there is no shallow water around harriman and I needed to go where there were feeding flats for the fish. I think with this new roller trailer I bought I can launch at anchor.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw several TVA vans at that boat ramp on Webster Pike a few weeks ago. And
TVA had a boat trailer or two setting there also. I wouldn't doubt that was when they were putting up that skimmer. Wonder why they would even need a skimmer that far upstream? It's at least 3 or 4 miles down the river to the spill. Knowing TVA and how slow they are, they may never get that river dredged during our lifetime. TVA ought to be made to restock that area with fish. I don't see how they'll ever get it back to normal. That area had plenty of blues and flats from 40-80 lb or more.

Mon or Tue a friend's coming from Knoxville and we might try that other spot on Little Emory we were talking about. I don't remember ever fishing for catfish down there but somebody does. The day I stopped and looked there were several chicken liver and nightcrawler cartons down there and some empty Magic Bait bags. Somebody even left a child's pair of Gore Tex boots lying there. I still got some frozen shad minnows, some frozen trout, about 3 doz goldfish and some nightcrawlers. I've had more luck down Webster Pk with cut bluegill and nightcrawlers than anything else.
I saw 2 of the TVA vans there loadng a boat. I stopped. They had been testing the hatch this Year. They said there were plenty of shad. I went down today and tried for bream at the ramp and in 3 hours I caught 3 using red worms and crickets. I asked a friend who came in from fishing. He said you can go up towards Harriman to the high rock bluffs But down river was blocked and up river is blocked at the bluffs. He also said they were dredging at the mouth of little emory Tursday. They may be going to open the barge terminals at Harriman some sort of work is going on at the paper mill.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I talked to a friend who lives around Blair and he says they'll remove that barrier across the mouth of the Little Emory about June 1.

I've been catching more bream on jigs than anything else in that Webster Pk area. Those cheap marabou jigs from Walmart you buy a dozen for $1.36. Been buying the smallest size I can get my hands on and trimming the feathers off to half an inch. Using 4 lb test line and a 4-1/2 ' microlight rod, been getting a few crappie, too. Yep, I've seen some shad down there, something is constantly chasing them, don't know if it's bass or stripe.

Maybe something good comes from all this dredging. With the cost of gasoline these days I fish down there because it's so close. I can get there in 12-15 minutes.
th of little emory Tursday. They may be going to open the barge terminals at Harriman some sort of work is going on at the paper mill.[/

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan to fish tellico tail waters tomorrow for bream. Stopped by there today and the stripper fishermen were in there fishing for bream. They said there were no shad but they think they are catching more big strippers on bream this year. Just one 6"pipe letting water through the dam but there were plenty of bream there.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I knew the striper fishermen caught their shad in there. A friend said he caught some crappie right up close to the base of the dam a couple months ago. There's a fishy looking spot downstream from the dam a little ways before you get to the ramp and bridge. Rock bluffs, don't know how deep the water is. I've never thrown a line in there but always wondered what's in there.

· Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is 8 - 10' against the rocks 40 feet in the middle. Bream are attracted to the water coming through the dam and also big ones against the rocks. They have paved the parking lot now. Must have been 50 boats out of there today.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
I went down there once back when the weather was cooler. The parking lot was still gravel then. That new boat ramp there is convenient and a lot safer than the other one on the opposite side of the river. I know it hurt the bait and tackle shop above the ramp, I think it's called Lane's Landing. I've been over there 3 times this spring and they haven't been open. Hope they didn't go out of business.

· Registered
20 Posts
Shad seem to be scarce right now. Below melton hill the cross eyed cricket cove will produce after the water has a chance to warm up, bring your cast net and prepare to throw alot. I have not seen much for shad around the dam. they have been running one generator for about ten hours a day. I get my bait in Ft Loudon res. and bring it with me in my bait tank. For the big cats i like fishing the lake side of loudon and well downstream of Kingston on Watts Bar.

· Registered
7,655 Posts
Fished below tellico dam for 4 hours today. Caught 3 bream 1 on cricket 2 on red worms. One of these days I am going to catch a boat load. Never seen the bite any worse.
I haven't had any problem catching bream. My problem has been finding shad. The Popeye flies in 1/64 oz cast on 4 lb test line early in the morning or late afternoon oughtta get a bucketfull of bluegill. I get a lot of bites on a chartreuse Zoom marabou jig in the smallest size with half the feather cut off, but they're much harder to hook and usually get a few crappie, too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.