Bait

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by moose2001, Sep 9, 2009.

1. moose2001

moose2001 New Member

State:
    mi
    As we get later in the season do the flathead perfer a different bait like cut bait over live bait thanks

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I's say yes.... but you should throw out two lines and check it out for sure.....:wink:

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah toss out multiple lines to see.:wink:

4. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    No, flatheads seem to always prefer live bait when they can get it. That doesn't mean they won't eat cut bait, but they prefer live bait.

5. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    All the flatheads I have caught this year...which is a lot have all been cut on cut bait. Then again I fish 90% of the time with cut bait, so that could also be the reason.

When I have live bait I fish it and I fish a couple with cut bait. In my experience a hungry fish is not going to pass up a piece of bait in front of it, so if its cut bait he is going gobble it up, if its live he is going to gobble it up.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think flatheads ALWAYS prefer fresh cut bait over live bait any season...I have fished both side by side in all seasons, and fresh cut shad wins 100 percent of the time.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    this year i jumped on the cutbait bandwagon, i usually fish it in the spring and fall. But this year its been the best year around

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    flathead like most fish are opportunistic feeders. It doesnt matter if its live or dead. And larger fish like bigger baits, half the bait i use is bigger than my fist. That pretty much rules out most channels

9. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    Most years i would say LIVE bait for sure for flatties but this year ive listened to Jack (flathunter) and i have been using one rod with live bait and one rod with cut bait and i have caught most of my flatties on cut bait this year. in years before this i would use live bait only and boy have i learned a big lesson about flatties !!! just the other night i fished the Ohio River with live bait and cut bait and the fish would not hit the live bait for me at all.........i switched over to using cut bait on both rods and caught my new personal best flattie on the cut bait (creek chub). i think both cut and live bait works well at times but dont limit yourself to live bait only for sure !!!

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

Kasey, you da man! I only say this because you don't know Dick. And I wanted to make a point. After many years of dispareaging comments on the viability of cut shad as a flathead bait that I have made against Flathunter, I RE-CANT. The last two years I have been on assignment to learn more about this "Cut-shad" thing.

Basically, I have caught all of my flats over 30 pounds the last two years on CUT-SHAD. I have real life witnesses that will testify to this. All of whom are BOC members, and were as skeptical as I was when they saw it for the first time. If you cannot believe an old timer like me, I ask my fellow BOC members that have been out with me to chime in here:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Kasey,
    I don't doubt that your comments are based on your own experiences in the places you fish but check out the locations of the majority of the guys in this thread who go with cut bait for flatheads.
    On the Ohio River cut bait will outfish live for flatheads almost every time. Same can be said for many other rivers also.

I will disagree with your assertion that blues and channels don't hunt.
    Blues are agressive predators and will bust up schools of shad and skipjack.
    A 50lb plus flat or blue isn't going to maintain it's body mass by just sitting waiting for scraps to float downstream, they need big meals and live baits fulfill that need but they will both take cutbaits readily.
    I have also caught a lot of channels on live baits set out for flatheads.

Let's face it there are way more live fish in our lakes and rivers than dead ones so it stands to reason that most of a flat's blue's or channel's natural diet is made up of live fish but put a nice fresh piece of cut in front of any of them and they will take it...W

12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well im going to give cut bait another shot cause i aint catchin crap on live abit anymore :smile2: cant do no worse than that and live shad die anyways..might as well chop em up

13. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I Can vouch for Sman here. I was in the boat this year when he caught his 44# and ive seen him catch numerous over 20# this year. Ive caught 80% of my flats on cut shad also!

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Just to counter your theory: It was only last week when I was fishing at a spot on the Scioto. I had managed to catch some gills, and had them in my livewell. I put live gills on both of my poles. They sat for over 2 hours, with no action at all. Finally, out of boredom, I reeled 1 in and decided to cut it. It wasn't in the water 5 mins before it was hit and I landed a 9 lber.

Now, 9 pounds is not a big Flat, but it surely is big enough to eat a live gill the size of your hand.

After seeing the results of that switch, I reeled in the 2nd and cut it as well. Needless to say, the action picked up quite a bit after that...on both reels.

So, from that alone, I feel safe in saying that vibrations made by the live bait had little to no effect. At least for that outing, in that location. Elsewhere, it may be a completely different outcome.:big_smile:

15. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i caught a 35lb flat last week on cut shad, only thing i've caught so far on live bait is a gar

16. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati

Gar seem to be the only thing that eat my live shad on the river. Flatheads, blues and channels love the cut shad and skipjack.

17. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm glad we're having this conversation because I think this will help expand many people's horizons. I know I'm going to try to use cut shad more often when fishing for flatheads, because I usually don't. I also think that it depends on what body of water you are fishing in, because fish in different bodies of water/ different regions prefer different types of bait. When talking about cut bait, I think it depends on what type of fish you are using for cut bait. Fish that are more oily like shad and skipjack would be better for cut bait. When using creek chubs (my favorite bait), I prefer to fish them live. All in all, I think it comes down to opportunity for the fish.

18. moose2001

moose2001 New Member

State:
    mi
    Thanks for all the replies. Last year I was on the maummee river fishing live gills shiners and chubs. Well i had a buddy talk up chubs like no other like they were gold. The reason he says this is on a smaller river in MI. the chubs is awesome you kill the bass and channel cats, anyway the live chubs produced nothing and shiners and gills got action so i agree that different waters get different responses to bait.I know its different fish but channels and flatties are related right, on this river in MI. the only pole gettin touched is the chub poles the other poles with variety dont get touched and on the maummee its the oppisote at least at that time of year. weird ya know i would like to try chubs again cut em up they r hard to keep alive thou.

19. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Good question, I liked the answers

20. O_W_E_N_S

O_W_E_N_S New Member

State:
    Toronto,Ohio
    I don't have a boat...so how would go about trying to catch these fish from the bank? I fish the Ohio...we do have ponds but all I can really get is the bluegill and they really are not doing to much for me.