Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Catfishkid24, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Catfishkid24

Catfishkid24 New Member

State:
    ohio
    what do most of u guys use for bait in the ohio area and how do u catch it?

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Blue gills are pretty must first baits out there. Catching with small pole an mill worms are easiest to use. I buy goldfish which is my go to bait. Others along with my self also bought a castnet an go toss it in the waters to catch shad/mooneyes.

3. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    double tap

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Tyler, I use a lot of Bluegills. Two of my favorite baits is Suckers and large Creek Chubs, but I have a hard time getting those, when you get a half century plus on the old body you will find it is not easy getting out and wading creeks with a minnow seign:smile2:. But you can catch cats on either Chubs,Gills, or several others. Just keep trying different baits and soon you will find "your bait".

5. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    see if yu can catch you some warmouth or green sunfish
    look on the ODNR website for pics of the under fish A-Z dynamite flat cat bait in my book

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your holding it in your avatar:wink:

7. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Tyler! For channel cats i use small bluegills or warmouth and cut shad. Flatheads I use anything big and Lively. Like Joe said thats a perfect bait in your avatar for a big ole flat! Good luck and hope you catch some good fish!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    aint much more left to say! good luck buddy!!

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Goldfish are usually my number one choice, but this year they haven't caught me a single fish. I've mainly been working with shad and suckers. Live and cut.

10. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    KROGER BRAND TIGER SHRIMP (RAW) WORKS GOOD FOR CATS, NIGHT CRAWERS STILL WORK. BUT LIKE WHAT THE REST OF THE GUYS SAID,LIVE,CUT BAIT IS THE BEST OF ALL FOR THE BIG ONES.

GOOD LUCK:wink:

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio

I use anything I can catch on rod and reel, Crappie, bluegills,bass bullheads, baby carp,channels. Bout the size of that fish in JB's avatar will do.

12. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll use anything pretty much for channels, cause they seem to have no taste buds some times, not to say they can't be picky, but they're willing to eat almost anything. For Flathead you can use anything that swims that's small/big enough to fit in there mouth, and if it doesn't work live it might work cut up. I use a wide variety of methods to catch bait; traps, seines, cast net, and lastly with the rod and reel. Some people think bigger is better, and that's true sometimes, but not all the time, and don't forget to look through the regs and make sure that what your doing is legal, cause there's restrictions on all that stuff in one way or another. It's pretty much personal preference, if you like using it, and you catch what your after on it then use it, but don't be afraid to switch it up, because sometimes that's what it takes to stay productive. Good luck, and listen to these guys, they'll help you out, even if you think you've got it all figured out they'll still be able to teach you something, and answer most of your questions.