bait

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by apfd82, Jul 9, 2009.

1. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have always used stink or worms to catch catfish on what are some others that you guys use i want to catch some big fish

2. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Flatheads: Live Perch, Chubs, Bullheads, Crappie, Bass, Shad, Skipjack

Blues: Cut Shad, and all listed above.

And it's also occurred to some of the members that pickles work well too.

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Oh, and welcome to the BOC!

4. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cut bait shad, skipjack or just about any fish that swims with them.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Using Crappie or Bass might get you into trouble they are game fish . Bluegill , Shad , Skipjack , Goldfish , Minnows , Carp and Eel etc. are great baits . Flathead have been said to have been caught on just about everything you could imagine . Myself I prefer live bait (gills , shad or skipjack ) when flathead fishing . When blue fishing Bluegill heads seem to work well , but I only have targeted them at Baldwin with gill heads . Channel cats I like using dip baits .

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Randy!:0a25: Cut shad is my bread and butter for channels and blues, cut bluegill, asian carp(where they are already found, remember, do not transport them to other bodies of water!), and shrimp have all worked well for me too. For flatheads, you can't beat a green sunfish, although bullheads, live gills, and goldfish can catch em' too. Just remember that it has to be lively! GOOD LUCK!:wink:

7. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks everyone for your help i am going to try alot of those this week since i am on vacation and have nothing to do but fish

8. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Cutbait for me. Cut shad... if you can find them 10" shad in a castnet, chunk it up into 3-4 pieces and use them. That too is my favorite bait of choice around here.

For channel cats if fishing Rend Lake... SHrimp with a ton of garlic salt on it. You can pick the shrimp up at walmart in blue onion sacks that are unpeeled for 10 bucks.

9. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Crappie and bass are sportfish in Illinois, Dont get caught by a bunny cop using them as live bait/bait. I dont think its even legal to use the leftovers after filleting but I know some that do.

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    For eating size channels, fryin pan size up to 6lbs or so chicken liver works great. You can add Oil of Anise, garlic salt etc to it and it seems to help. Espescialy if the liver is getting a little ripe,lol.

11. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Yep, Bluegill are game fish as well, State fish of Illinois don't ya know!

You can use bluegill (any sunfish really) for bait IF you catch them legally via hook and line (i.e. no nets of any kind). However, the new laws about transporting water and most species of fish from 1 body of water to another is also illegal now, so you have to ice them or use a species of fish that isn't on the list.

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great post Eric...

The subject of livebaits comes up all the time, and ILDNR has repeatedly confirmed yes, you can use any hook and line caught fish as bait provided you're observing all of the regs on that particular body of water (e.g. size and creel limits).

I've used creek chubs, green sunfish, bluegill, crappie, and bullheads - all caught via hook and line. I'd love to try yellow bass sometime as well.

Live baits are good for flatheads and big channel cats, but I've caught a few big channels on dip bait as well. And, if you like plenty of action, dip bait or cut-bait (oily fish like shad or suckers work great) will do well...

Shawn

13. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    You catch it legally, it's your's to eat or use as bait in Illinois. Catch it legally, follow creel limits and size limits and certain seasonal limits, never use a fish as cut bait on a body of water that has size limits. (You can't prove you followed the size limit if you're fishing just a head) And have fun.
    Rat

14. Brianh

Brianh Member

State:
    Illinois
    Cut bait works everytime for bigger channels. It's all I use anymore..... Catch some shad with a cast net and you'll have plenty of bait.

15. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    check out the member library for alot of different methods of catching bait fish. also make sure your equipment is sufficient for hauling in a big fish or you'll get your heart broken:wink: