BAIT ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by J.A.B., Jun 4, 2009.

1. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

State:
    ohio
    ever use channel cats or yellow bellies for shovelhead bait ?

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yellow bellies are very good flat bait.some on here use channels,i never have.but love the yellows.just make sure ya don't hook them deep,cause if ya do,you will never rip the hook out of the bait to get a decent hook set.thats why i don't like to use circles with them.

also,welcome to the boc

3. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oh yeah they are. I have used Bellys and channels of the same size, about 4-6 inches, for the past couple of weeks and love it. But as hunted stated, don't hook the too far down on the meaty section, kind of stay up top, as I do use circles, 8/0 Octopus Circles and have good luck that way. So far I only lost one hook up in the past 16 months anyways, and that was this past Sunday night.

4. J.A.B.

J.A.B. New Member

State:
    ohio
    where do you catch yellow bellies at ? what do you catch them on ?

5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Chicken liver makes great bait for yeller bellies. I usually catch them in the lake where I fish or sometimes farm ponds are stocked with them.

6. mudcat55

mudcat55 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some of the biggest fish caught in the muskingum river have been caught on channel cats i i think you could catch flatheads on flatheadt there has been many times i have had stiringers peeled by big shovelheads especially if i have a small one on the line

7. WhoJosh

WhoJosh New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i've heard small channels are good but never tried it

8. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yellow belly=bullhead? What is a yellow belly?

9. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    looking to locate some fish farms that sell shad for stocking ponds. Any help would be great

10. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yup, chicken livers make wonderful bait. Or you could try this out for size...

Homemade bream trap.

It is tested and approved, as long as the laws are followed in your area. :wink: