Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by n2fishn, Mar 25, 2009.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    If anyone is looking for fresh jarred shadguts & sides or skipjack and yellow tailed shad the bait shop on 24hwy (no names) has a good supply in Topeka.

Also all the team catfish gear and secret-7 and about every prepaired bait there is on the market.

He his stocking it up for the catfishermen..

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I hear he has just a few cases of shad.:eek:oooh::wink:

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    He has over 20 cases fresh out of Ky..Two days old..

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You guys ever have any luck with that jarred crap?:eek:oooh:
    I dont. I think Id rather use hot dogs.:smile2: Ok, maybe not.
    I will keep on throwin the net though.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Catdaddy was in at work Monday and told me about Don getting them in. He stopped in yesterday and said he had some buddies that were hammering them up at Perry.

6. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Before I used a net we would only buy the jarred shad side's and they seemed like that was the best bait ever fishing at a lake hooked all kinds of 10-15lb channels and then I guess other people caught on and it was harder and harder to find so I stated throwing a net and never looked back.

This Was over 15 years ago also forgot to mention that!!

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I really have never used them, We have always just used the net and then what we did not use we would vac seal up I do the same with the winter kill too.

8. ks catman

ks catman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Ive always done good with shad guts on eater size channels and blues but no big ones

9. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I will use fresh when I have it but I have caught a ton of cats on guts and sides over the yrs.

If you cant net fresh this would be the 2nd best to use this time of yr.

Sun I took a bag of three day old frozen shad with us and then when I got to the lake I netted about 150 shad that morning.

Started using the frozen and was getting hits but they would not finish.Caught a few but,after about two hrs of this I stated cutting the fresh ones up and then they started slamming the bait.So fresh can make all the differance but in a pinch jarred or frozen will catch fish.

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Back when milk came in cardboard cartons, my Grandpa would freeze them full of ground up shad (or whatever he had) with a 3 hole brick in the middle, and a wire loop sticking out the top. He would peel the cardboard off, tie a rope to the wire, and lower it down to the level he wanted to fish, and just let it melt.
    It must have worked,.... he always had fish in the freezer right next to the shad.:smile2:

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Chumm at it best!!

Them old mike cartons brings back some old memories.Thats what my Dad would freeze our fish in.No such thing as baggies back then.

12. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Is there any skipjack left?

13. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Not to mention how great those milk carton's were to freeze water in for the ice chest, but back to shad sides, I use them every year and do great on them, they stay on your hook extermly well and at the same time, because of how strong they smell, they run off any compitition on your side of the bank for a 100 yards down wind. But can't use'm much when the turtles get active.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah, fresh shad smells bad enough.:smile2: I dont mind it though.
    That stuff in a jar is just nasty. :crazy:

15. BowieKnife357

BowieKnife357 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've never caught a thing on shadsides in my life. Shad gizzards, on the other hand, got me some good size channel cats when I was younger. I don't use them anymore though, prefer my bait fresh.

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kyle, remember that jar of "stinky shad" I had at the beginning of last year? That was the worst smell I've ever smelt, I've never had a stinky jar besides that one. Thats the only jar I've caught fish on too now that I think about it. I don't know if they forgot to freeze it or left it out in the sun then froze it or what, but that one was bad!

17. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Some of the jars I used had really no smell to them at all like they washed them before canning. And some on the other hand really knocked you on your butt:tounge_out::embarassed:

I have only had luck if you only thaw and refreeze only about 3 times max also if your going to buy any make sure they are pink the pinker the better:wink:

Not pink on the skin side pink on the meat side:roll_eyes:

18. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    My experience has been that frozen whole shad is a decent bait, but those jar shad sides, for practical purposes, might as well be catfish repellent.

19. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Saw the bait the other day when I was in the place, guts were in jars and the fillets were in bags...........don't believe this stuff is the old stinky soured stuff. I was real tempted to buy a skipjack but decided not to. Nice bait shop they have there, have always treated me right.

20. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wish it was closer but ...maybe if we get the boat done...lol...:wink: