Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ec43146, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Has anyone been out after skipjacks yet? I only went once but the river was up too high so passed on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've been down to the Greenup L&D a couple times for them. Kyjake is down there once or twice a week fishing. Their not running yet or at least none of us have had any luck for them.
    My thinking is another week or 2 they will be coming in. Temps are supposed to be in the 50's and 60's for the next week or so, that should help.
    Whenever we start getting into them I'll let you know.

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I appreciate that,would like to get some for the freezer

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too, I try to keep a bunch in the freezer at all times. Great bait for sure!:cool2:

5. cantonjim

cantonjim New Member

State:
    ohio
    let me know when and where to get some and do they work good i'm new to catifshing all i ever caught is some bullheads

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I usually catch them in the Ohio River at the Greenup L&D. Not sure if they are anywhere else in OH or not.:confused2:
    Skipjacks are great bait for all kinds of catfish. They even work good after being frozen. If you're not close to where you can get them a lot of bait shops sell them around here, not sure about your area.
    I like skippies better than shad but shad is a great bait also.
    Bullheads are a great Flathead bait. If you can get them I'd be using them alive for the Flatties!