Bait?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by catfishcatcher, Mar 7, 2009.

1. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Most true die hard cat guys or gals use manily Shad, skipjacks and bluegills either alive, dead, whole or cut. What about using small suckers whole or for cut bait? Why we are on the subject have you heard of guys using bull heads? We also use a lot of creek chubs in my area around the Muncie area, they work very good at times. Does the size of the bait help or hender the size for a big cat. I have heard that you use big bait for big fish! How big is to big?:0a31:

2. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    I have used bullheads for BIG FLATHEADS. You can also use MOONEYES for big cats, especially Blues. I used a 12" creek chub when I caught my 65# Blue.

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    i know creek chubs and shiners are good blue bait, im sure flatheads will eat em too... ive read alot of posts on here about bullheads, havent tried them yet, but im definately going to this year!

4. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Brother, I've also heard alot about bullheads, and would like to try them out!:eek:oooh:

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In

if trahviis ever wakes up from hibernation, ill get him to catch us some! he lives along eagle creek and claims its loaded with them!

6. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If your reffering to suckers or anything in the carp family, Tey will work live or dead, cut , ect. I have had more luck with the red tailed suckers aka redhorse suckers... they seem to stay more active when fished live and have a thicker coat of slime which helps if fished dead:wink: I have not tried bullheads personaly but know a guy that does who has awsome luck with them!... the rumor is use a 6 foot leader next to a hole or snag, He says bullheads will actually swim right up to the flatties! wierd but I guess it works:wink:

7. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis

Loll, yeah it is. I plan on using them this year, and I've had success with all previously mentioned baits. I'm hoping to get out sometime soon. Shiners and chubs are my favorite spring bait. You can fill a bucket with them in front of Westside with some bee moths.

8. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Suicidal bait, perfect. :roll_eyes:

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    man If you've got suckers then you've got it made. I use live handsize bait just to try to keep the channels and turtles away as much as possible.
    I've heard bullhead stories too. I've been flattie fishin' for years and never used 'em... 1- 'cause they're hard for me to get--- and 2, because The bait I use the most (live gills) always out performed everything else I've ever used anyway.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've heard that rumor too. I'd have to see that to believe it... like SEE it with my eyes under water..... cause MAYBE a bluegill does the same thing lol.

11. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Morse Res. in Noblesville is absolutely loaded w/ bullheads. #6 Baitholder hook & a chunk of nightcrawler, u'll reel 'em in all night.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My nightcrawlers do the same thing too LOL

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    any fish you catch that smell a lot makes great cut bait.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    skipjacks got my vote on stinky lol... I never have much luck on cutbait.... but one night me and blazerjet tore them flatties up out of one hole on the Ohio with cut skippies... I mean tore 'em up!

15. Crowderdog

Crowderdog New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The fish in my avatar was caught on cut sucker

16. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use bullheads and chubs in the spring for flatheads, and you will get blues on the chubs.

17. Mean Streak

Mean Streak New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I like the split mouth chub all year long. Have used bull heads for flats and a flat as big as the bull head will eat it also. I also use goldfish, bluegills, crappie, and even been known to use a bass if caught from a private pond they don't have to be 14 inches but try explaining that to the CO.:smile2:

18. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Bullheads are one of the favorite baits for flats here in SE Iowa. Some of the guys clip off the dorsel and side barbs when using them. Not sure why:confused2:

19. ThaWstSide

ThaWstSide New Member

State:
    Speedway,
    I have only been fishing for flats less than a year, and have taken in alot of info on catching them. I have been told that sometimes it seems the bite is slower when using bait from outside sources other than what you catch where you fish for the flats. I dont know for a fact if that is the case, but I will catch bait anywhere anytime to fish with for flatheads. You name the place, I will catch the bait and we will fish as long as it lasts. All I want to do is reel in fish period! A few people from here have fished with me, and know that I will get bait no matter what. Rock Dam, Spillway, River, Retention Pond, ANYWHERE!