Bait well? What to buy?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Big Cat Hunter, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm in the market to buy a new bait well. Money is not an object. Can anyone tell me what the best one to buy is?

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Gray line pro series is what I have. Creek bank tanks are good also.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a keep alive system. Are you looking for long term storage or keeping it lively while fishing.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Creek Bank and Blue Water are the cadillacs of bait tanks. Grayline runs a close third. I have both a Grayline (trying to sell) and a Creek Bank and like them but the Creek Bank is superior.

5. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Shawn,
    I am looking for a tank for my boat. I want to be able to keep shad,herrin,and bream alive. All day if possible.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    A quick report on my Creek Bank tank:

I caught some shad on Friday evening from a local lake. Water surface temp was 92F (yes, 92F - reported by both of my depth finders). I knew it would be difficult to keep the shad alive in water that hot, and knew from experience that you can't just plop them in to ice-cold water or they'll die from the stress.

So I filled the Creek Bank tank about half way with tap water before leaving home, added plenty of chlorine and ammonia remover and about 3 cups of salt plus about 3 tablespoons of "Better Bait". When I got to the lake, I topped the tank up with 92 degree lake water. Final temp in the tank was about 84F, which is about as much differential as shad will tolerate.

Caught about 30 shad in just 3 throws, put them in the livewell for a few minutes to shed some scales and slime, then into the Creek Bank tank.

Changed the filter when I got home about 9:00pm and left the tank running all night. The filter caught all the slime and scales but was nowhere near being clogged.

I fished from 7am till 2pm on Saturday, ambient temps started at about 80 and hit 95 by the time I left the water.

All together, 2 shad died in the tank - the rest were lively and healthy, right up until I cut them into chunks and put them on my hook.

If necessary, I could have done a water change about mid-day, changed the filter again and kept them alive another 24 hours without much problem.

Your cut bait isn't fresh unless it squirms when you put it on the hook...

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I can keep shad, bream ect. alive for days in my tank if needed. What ever you buy, during the heat be sure to carry some frozen water bottles along to help cool the water in them. Add 1 cup of stock salt to ever 10 gallons of water and your set. If useing city water (I use well water) add de-clorine solution also. I try to not use any lake water unless absolutely necessary. Clouds up and dirtys your tank faster. If your keeping the temp. down with frozen bottles and filter is working you should be able to go all day with out changing the water out with lake water, unless you have too many baits in it or you didnt flush them first.
    Flushing:
    Before you put them in the tank place them in a bucket of water and salt to flush-puke out and than place them in your tank thru a net, dont add the water from the bucket.
    Main thing is dont try to over load the tank with shad 1 per gallon of water is a pretty safe amount.
    Clean your tank well between uses. I use white vinagar and rinse well with straight water than let dry. Dont use any soap to clean it with.
    Hope this helps.

Good luck with w/e you get. Will be one of the best things you ever bought.