bait trip

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by mankind, Oct 8, 2008.

1. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    ok guys i went out on bait hunt,i caught about 50 bluegills some were big as your hand. still need some skippies(steak size) if possible. now where are we going to fish this weekend. i have to get every trip in i think their going to put me back to work real soon.:0a26:

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Did you get them at Greenbo? You got them in a bait tank or freezing them?
    I'd like to get down to the dam in the next day or so, this rain should be helping the bite on all species of fish!

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like you are set for fishing..congrats..rollo

4. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    got them at grayson they are now froze.sure do need someskippies

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    where you at firechief did you say wall:smile2:

6. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    or we could fish russell or boat club or wall or wall or wall:confused2:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I haven't been to Grayson in a long time. I know what you mean, I need more skippies myself. Be real nice to get a 5 gal bucket full, or at least half full.:wink:

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yes i think blues like skippies better than bluegill if nothing else i'll try boat club little is better than none

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Blues will usually eat about any cut bait but prefer Shad & Skippies. Flatties like them also.
    If I can figure out a way to get down there I may go tomorrow to try and get a bunch. I just looked and I have maybe 30 small ones and 2 big ones left. Thats only enough for a couple good trips. I wish I was able to throw my cast net, I'd love to stock up on a bunch of shad also.

10. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    So you have success on flatties if the bait isn't kicking? I have caught on night crawlers but not on anything dead. Maybe I just need to spray em down with the hills secret sauce .:wink:

11. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i perfer live bait for flatties if i have to use dead i perfer a big bluegill head. john we may be able to hit russell and boat club and get some bait

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I caught the yellow fellow in my Avatar on a John Steak. That's what John had on when hooked into Scrape Iron Jack. They love Skipjack !!!!:wink:

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've caught several on cut bait. The big one I had hooked Saturday was on a 'johnny steak'. I've also had good luck with gill heads for flatties. Once the water and temps get pretty cold I'll use nothing but cut bait for them. IMO their metabolism slows down and their not gonna spend the energy to go for live bait unless you hit their nose with it. Not sure if thats what happens but it works for me. Cut gills, shad and skippies are my go to baits in the colder weather. Once the water temp gets in the low 50's I'll start targeting blues. Seems the flatties are few and far between when it gets that cold.