Bait traps...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by KYTRAPPER, Jul 19, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Concerning the black coated bait traps(minnow and crawdad) does anyone else notice that the black coated traps are easier for bait to escape:confused2: I make most of my own traps but have a black coated crawdad trap that was givin to me. I set it last night along with a reg homemade galvanized trap. The galvanized trap had between three and four doz crawdads in it while the black trap was baitless and empty:angry: Not the first time Ive seen this. Seems like the black minnow traps never really produce that well either. Anyone else noticed this???

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I had one of those coated ones before,but never truly got to use it.The first time I set it out came back the next day and it was gone.:0a15: Never really thought of buying another.:0a23:

3. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    I hav used the old galvanized traps 4 the past 3 years and they worked great. This year I bought some of the black coated traps and havnt caught ANYTHING! They didnt even take my bait. The old ones always had something in them. Tried diff locations and diff baits and nothing in the new traps. I wondered if they were more visable or something. Someone on another board said the same thing.

Anybody else?
    -fishingrl

4. wormduck

wormduck New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i would think its because they can seee it.because galvanized would to me be harder to see in water

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive got a galvanized and a black plastic one. I thought the same thing too abut the black one but noticed how big the opening in it was. I cut some mesh, rolled it into a cone and then wired it into the openings. I now catch more out of the black one than I do the galvanized one.

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    KYTRAPPER,

That's interesting....Do you think it might be that the "black" makes it eaiser for the bait to "see" the way out????That's an interesting point you bring up.....Dwight

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I think that could very well be the case as I have had that same black rubber coated crawdad trap robbed completely several times with no dads' to show for it....Their gettin' in and out somehow:confused2:

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking at a Promar Colapseable bait net/fish trap to catch anything from small bream/perch to large minnows...With this thread, it got me to thinking about the "color" of the trap and how it might affect "catch rate"....I'll also look at the possibility of closing thee end of the cone on my minnow trap to keep them from escaping.....Of course, you've also got to remember that there might be a snake that's going in the trap and haveing his fill and leaving.....Dwight

9. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I have had the same problem. They don't seem to like the black traps. I don't think they ever go in them. I've taken some and spray painted alum. and that helps a little. Here is a cheap galvanized trap that works well. Use the white foam instead of bait. I have the opening on this one small to catch small perch.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u268/randallewis/100_0139640x480.jpg

10. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I have the same/close trap that as randallewis has, it works great for bait.

You can find the plans on how to build 1 in the Libary. It is "Blue Gill Trap"