BAIT TRAPS

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by bigd4xman, Jul 2, 2009.

1. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I was just wondering if anybody in Kansas is using bait traps these days. If you are what did you build them out of, what bait do you use to attract fish such as perch and bullheads, and minnows, and last where are you setting them? I looked at some traps in the member library section and I'm working on building one right now that should work well set about anywhere with atleast a couple feet of water to cover it. I'm just tired of always having to buy bait, especially when perch are $6.50 a dozen right now and alot of the time my local bait shop doesn't have the size I want.

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Look in the library Dustin. There is a really nice step by step on how to build a really nice one. The cross shaped one looks like it would work really well.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I made one a couple years ago off the library. Its a pretty good trap, but I realized after I made it that its 1/2" mesh and KS only allows 1/4" mesh or less. Took me a couple hours to make that thing too.... oh well. Most of the bait I catch and use are hook and line anyway, unless its shad and in that case its the cast net.

4. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I use crawfish traps that I got at Bass Pro, they're about $8 I think. I bait it with cut perch wrapped in plastic mesh, tied down with zip-ties. If you don't secure the bait some how, they'll drag it out.

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    I've got an old double cone minnow trap that hooks together in the middle
    and is made out of galvanised 1/4in mesh. I think it's a Frabill. She's been
    banged around a lot over the years and I plug the openings with styrofoam
    coffee cups duct taped in place to use it as a chum bucket sometimes.

6. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    I have made several of the ones that are in the library- the illegal ones with 1/2 inch mesh:crazy:- Make sure if you place it in a creek that has rocks in the area you are putting it that you use chain and not rope to secure it. And if there is much current you will want to take a few extra wire ties and reinforce the spot your chain is attached. That is why I have built several. The creek came up, my rope rubbed on a rock and my trap was history. They work great. I have a stock tank with a fountain pump to circulate the water and 1 trap keeps my stock tank stocked all the time. I bait it with bread, dog food, catfood, and some kind of dough/dip bait. I collect my bait every other day, and there for about 2 weeks I was getting 30 or so bullhead each time. This last week my numbers are down to 20 or so, and they seem to all be bigger. There are green sunfish in the creek, but never in the trap. I take a pole and a couple nightcrawlers and catch 8 or 9 each trip so I always got a few of them too. I am laid off right now so I am fishing almost every day and not only would that be expensive, but most of the time I am going at odd hours, so its real nice having my own bait shop in my garage.:big_smile:

7. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Thanks everyone for your input, George I too am unemployed right now and I fish for at least 3 hours everyday, do alot of river fishing so I like the livebait and I have several creeks that I can set some traps in, and I'm getting ready to build a bait tank to keep them as well as turn some into cut bait and sides and freeze a few whole. I also catch my own perch on an ultralight setup, they are alot of fun if you get a bigger one on!

8. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anyone trap bait sized carp or suckers or whatever you want to call them? What do you bait your trap with to catch them? I usually would just use a little dog food, seems like the all around general trap bait but doesn't seem like it would work on suckers. Or can you even trap them?

9. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I would try plain ole corn for trapping carp, or maybe cat or dogfood, my dad had used bologna and hotdogs he let rot a little for bait in the past. Pretty sure carp are legal bait as long as under 10 inches.

10. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Dustin. I don't know why I didn't think about that. I don't ever fish for carp, but I know that alot of the baits people use are corn based. I kind of missed the obvious there:smile2:. I bet a can of cream corn would work pretty well.

11. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Checked the regs on bait and anything under 12" is legal. Minnows, or carp, sucker, top minnows, shad and sunfish, as well as bullheads are all legal to be caught in a bait trap but legally the throat of the trap is supposed to be 1" and the mesh 1/4" so if ya want carp youll have to walk outside the lines. 1" is only gonna get us minnows and crawdads, I'll set somewhere they never check anyway.

12. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    That is one heck of an idea!

13. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    You can buy those at Wal Mart for like 8 bucks too so it would be a pretty fast and cheap chum bucket.

14. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Im almost finished with my first trap now, its not the prettiest thing ever but it should work great. Hopeing for some more rain so the creeks will flow and the bullhead and perch will be a little more active.

15. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Just finished my first trap up a few minutes ago, will either set it out tomorrow or just wait till the holiday weekend is over so it has less chance of being swiped, I'll let yall know the outcome in a few days or so.

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Dustin, take some pics when you pull it out of the water. :big_smile:

17. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I gutted a bug zapper and made a door on the open end it already had a hole on the other end. I used a nylon bag to hang bread in front of the hole, i could put in my bait pond and in a couple hours id have 10 6" perch. the thing that sucks is somebody stole it out of my truck last year. If I find another zapper ill make a new one and post pics.

18. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Got my trap set out in a small secluded pond, with moss and those vines that grow in ponds right next to it, bout a foot and a half to 2 feet in the water with some shade trees around, hope there are some perch or bullheads in there, never tried this little pnd before, so we'll see.Would have set where I know there are fish but with everyone out and about I figured my trap would be likely to be stolen, no one knows about the pond but the owner and a few locals besides me. Will pull it by Monday morning, if nothin is there I'll move it to a better location. Used piieces of bologna and dry dog food for bait.

19. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Pulled my trap this evening after about a 24 hour soak and it had 8 small perch, enough that I got to fish for a bit. Its set out in one of the coves at the lake now in around 4 feet or water with a rocky bank so well see how it does there.

20. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Hey there, Dustin, threw mine out this morning for the first time with a couple bread heels in it in da creek, and in the amount of time it took me to catch 18 keeper chubs on worms, it caught 10, eight perch, two gills, and two chubs. Next time I'll just throw it out and take a nap instead. Mine is that cross shaped from the instructions here, too. Awesome, gonna be such a time saver. Good luck with yours.