Bait traps and bait for them

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by mcseal2, Jun 20, 2009.

1. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just wondering if anyone had tried the perch traps I see advertised, the 4-leaf clover design and such, and if so how did they work? Also if you have had success what did you use for bait? I love running lines, but getting good big live bait when all my bait ponds moss over can be a challenge.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I was camped on Ft Gibson this past week and the man next to me had 2 of them. He put styrofoam in them as bait and caught a lot of perch. I had the square ones baited with oatmeal in the same area and didn't catch any perch until he took his traps out. They work good, the next I make will be that type.

3. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I had never heard of using styrofoam as bait, did he have it scented with anything? The only bait I had heard of being used was canned cat food so far. Styrofoam would be simple if it works!

4. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    We set minnow traps and have been using a white rock for bait since a guy we met told us about it. I think it's the white color like the styrofoam that attracts the fish.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I know that when the the stryofoam get dirty it does not work as well.

6. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    We get lots of those little styrofoam coolers when we get vaccine from the vet, I will have to stop throwing them away. Thanks for the tip.

7. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Heath, check out the thread in the library. I tells you step by step how to make a cloverleaf b-gill trap.:wink:

8. dobbie

dobbie Member

Heath I have good luck with the canned dog food.I try and find the beef,liver,and bacon flavor.I just poke 4 or 5 holes in the top of the can.

9. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have used bread, saltine crackers, a can of cat food with several holes in it, broken up hot dogs and even popcorn (all with good results), but I have never heard of the styrofoam trick. Ill definently have to give that a try. I appreciate the tip.

10. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    ive never tried the styrafoam but will have to and i use bread and i have great luck with it.