Bait trap Blues..... :(

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SkipEye, May 22, 2009.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Had a buddy of mine set two of my Bluegill traps out in a pond baited with hard dog food. The report today was a bunch of bluegill around the traps but NOTHING inside them. They sat out overnight also. What the heck could be wrong. I used the home-made one years ago and it caught TONS of pinfish in Pensacola Bay. The other trap was store-bought and the design should be perfect for them to swim right in and not easily get out.

What could be wrong?

What bait do you use when trapping gills??

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually use a couple pieces of bread with a little onion. No idea why the onion but a guy told me about it several years ago and have always had good luck. I've also used the styrofoam peanuts, they work also.
    Maybe the traps were there too long and they figured out how to get out?:confused2:
    The store bought trap, is it the black one or the silver? I've never had much luck with the black ones, seems they get out of it easier. Always get more with the silver ones.

3. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The store-bought is a green one I picked up at Academy Sporting Goods while in Oklahoma last year.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Never used one of those.:confused2: Another thing i've used before with good results is the little packs of Ramen noodles.
    Good Luck to you, I'm sure there will be others to chime in with better advice.:cool2:

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I have set some traps out using dog food wet and dry and didn't catch anything.I thought it maybe in a bad spot but now maybe its the dog food.It should be good bait I might set two of my traps out in the same hole 1 with dog food and the other with bread and see whats happens.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hamburger buns and onions worked!!!! Thanks!

7. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i would have never thout of a onion i have used bread but never added a onion i will from now on

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Odd... We never bait the traps, and the perch "magically" appear within hours. Maybe the dogfood actually repels them? :confused2: