bait transport tank

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by fwmud, Sep 23, 2005.

1. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    heres a couple pics of the bait tank I use to transport bait from capture area to home tank or for transport to fishing area.
    Its a grinding tank that I sealed up and installed circulating pump.
    The red pipe is simply 3/4" PEX pipe,bent in a circle and a TEE cut into it.
    The circle has 1/4" holes drilled all around the circle for water spray. The pump is a standard walleyworld 750 GPH bildge pump,12 volt.I wired it extra long so it can sit in back of truck and plugged into a cigarett lighter socket.
    The pump is suspended approx. 6 inches off bottom to help keep creek/river water debris from clogging intake.

Attached Files:

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thats pretty nifty Keith. Sounds pretty simple to make too. What is a grinding tank out of curiosity? You being the hardward store guru around here, I am sure I can just go ask for one and they will know what I am talking about, but just not sure I have heard of that before.

3. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    will....it looks like a sump pump tub that is used in bsaements before they pour the concret floor so the water flows into it then a pump pumps it outside

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks Dave, that explains it.

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Thats nice. I use a 120 quart cooler with a bait saver system in it and use a battery or tie on the tail fo the cig. lighter attachment.

6. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    A "Grinding tank" is a plastic tank thats buried in the grond outside your home.
    Its used when the house in question,is well below the street level, where it'd be impossible for your sewer drains to slope downhill toward the street.
    In the tank a combo sump pump grinder is placed with two float switches.One works the pump/grinder,the other is a "high water alarm".It's connected to an alarm box inside living area. It's not a normal sump pump.It has two sets of metal impellers to "grind up" household wastes to a pumpable slurry.
    (Before you nuts even ask me, NO,this one has never been used) :D

7. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Thanks Keith. Good explanation and you also answered my next question, lol.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Looks like a good setup, Keith. The only drawback I can see is that in such places as Arkansas, the lack of insulation might let the water heat up too much during a long transport.
    I was in Wally World a few weeks ago, and noticed that they had a couple of plastic garbage cans of slightly different size. I checked, and sure enough, the smaller fit nicely inside the other, leaving a gap of about 2" where you could spray some expanding insulation, such as Great Stuff. I know the larger can was 32 gallons; I think the smaller was 26 gallons, but I'm not positive about that.
    I normally use a rectangular 40-quart cooler for transporting bream, but it has square corners, which isn't recommended for keeping shad alive.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    yea jery good call. I have since used a paint that sticks to plastic to paint it white. I also had a insulation blanket wrapped around it last time it was taken a long distance.I've also dropped froken bottles of water in it to assist with cooling.
    It's used mostly for short runs though.