Bait to hook size

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, Aug 1, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Alright brothers i need you help. I have a Several problems, first problem is keeping my bait alive, Crappies stay alive for a decent amount of time, but the eventually some how work the hook out of them self. Blue Gill Stay alive for 30 minutes or so but do Stay on the hook, The hook method I use is hooking them just below the back dorsal then back through the tail and just barely expose the barb of the hook to make it easier for the hook set (also makes it Weedless). I found problems with the hooks I'm using Gamagastu Octopus hooks, 8/0. I can't find yellow bellies for the life of meand they seem to be the best for bait with the barbs cut off.

Bait size is another issue I'm having Bigger bait equals bigger fish right? Well when i use to bass fish the same black and blue jig would catch the 1lb to 5 lb large mouth. I mean i know cat fishing and bass fishing are apples and oranges.

The third and final problem I'm using the method of fishing where you use a rubber band and put a loop in your line and when the rubber band isn't there anymore set the hook. Am i giving the fish too much time to feel the line? They seem to hit run and let go?

Future thanks, Please help

2. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    Blue gills should stay alive for a long time. I think it might be how you are hooking them. I use an 8/0 owner hooked "one" time under the dorsal fin towards the tail. Leave the point exposed as much as you can.
    Bait size depends on the fish you want to catch. I've had big fish hit tiny gills and not bite on the large ones. It all depends on what they want to eat. Try throwing out different size baits.

Not familliar with the rubber band method but I see how it works. The hit run and let go thing can be other fish like gar. Flatheads sometimes make a kill strike, they hit the bait hard and then sit and watch it or mouth it all up while sitting still. When this happens hold the line in your fingers and feel for him mouthing it. Most of the time when this happens the fish will run again. Flatheads are not shy of line or constant pressure against them. When I gut a good run I lock my bail in and let the fish pull the rod down good, then I set the hook.

3. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well the open bail method is just like the rubber band method, Except it takes me just a few seconds faster, I fish paint creek lake and paint creek consistently so I'm not sure what the flat head outlooks is on that lake but I've seen pictures of some monsters brought out on that lake, But thanks for the help on that side.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Big cats have big mouths, make sure you have 1/4 to 1/2 inch clearance between the bait and the point of the hook. If fishing in a current, hook live bait fish (any kind) through the nostrils or through the eye sockets (not through the eyes but in front of the eyes through the bony socket). If in still water just under the dorsal fin being careful not to hit the backbone. I have used up to a 12/0 hook with really big baits and have no problem hooking up. Match the hook to the bait. Quick story.. A friend of mine is a Bass fanatic, Made a deal with him to fish Bass in the morning and go to salt water in the afternoon. He caught a 3 3/4 pound bass and was really proud of it. I used it for bait that afternoon and caught a 26 1/2 pound kingfish. He don't brag on bass quite so much anymore:smile2::smile2:

5. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well thanks brothers, So just leave as much of the hook exposed.

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Great question reps to you my freind:wink:

7. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    Never heard the kill strike theory. A flatheads mouth is designed to eat about 20 % of it's body weight. They don't "grab" a baitfish and run with it like a muskie. They get close to thier prey and open thier mouths causing a rush of water ( sort of like a vacuum effect) and the prey to be sucked in all at once. I know channels will use a kill strike to stun prey. Then they'll do a circle around the prey and eat it. This accounts for the initial "bump", pause and run that you see when catching some channels. I think flatheads sometimes don't move away right after taking a bait fish. A guy told me once, " Flatheads don't have hip pockets. If they're running with your bait then it's in thier mouths... along with your hook."

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok, well the past four nights i been out fishing my butt off. Became more of a passion then anything. I have been using worms and top water fly baits to catch my bait, Pan fish but haven't found a good spot. Paint Creek is a medium sized creek i fish brush cover and points