Bait tips

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by aggie2305, Mar 19, 2007.

1. aggie2305

aggie2305 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went fishing in a small pond for channel cats...I caught about 6 or so but I couldnt keep the blue gill from biting, I spent most of my time throwin them back, until then I did not know that bluegill would hit chicken livers...Any tips on what I can use to catch the cats? I think the channel cats get up to like 15lbs in this particular lake.

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Welcome Steve , you might want to try cutting one of those bluegills into bait . It seems the bigger cats love a good chunk of fresh gill for dinner . Or you might try a bigger piece of liver .

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have use livers in the pass, and have had bluegills to peck on my livers but I never caught none on livers.

4. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    Brian is right, cut those bluegill up. They are great bait, especially where they are the main forage for catfish. A piece cut to about the width of your finger will work fine. I use them in one of my home lakes all the time, and catch loads of fish.

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    One more thing to add... Whatever size hook your using move up several sizes.... Personally I never use a hook smaller than a 7/0. This will eliminate hooking any perch.