BAIT TANKS

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Oct 16, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'VE GOT A SMALL POND I KEEP BAIT IN . I USE A SCREENED CAGE AND JUST PULL IT OUT TO PUT BAIT IN OR TAKE IT OUT. BUT WINTER IS COMING AND IF I'M GOING TO PURSE MY NEW OBSESSION I'LL PROBABLY NEED A BAIT CONTAINER THAT I CAN REGULATE THE CLIMATE. NOW I WORK AT A PRECAST CONCRETE COMPANY AND WE MAKE ROUND 500 GALLON STOCK TANKS. I'M THINKING I CAN KEEP A HUGE AMOUNT OF BAIT IN THIS , BUT I KNOW LOTS OF PEOPLE PUT ROCK SALT IN THE WATER TO HELP BAIT ALIVE . SALT IS OBVIOUSLY HARMFUL TO CONCRETE. DO ANY OF THE OTHER BAIT KEEPERS LACK SALT OR IS CONCRETE EVEN A GOOD OPTION FOR A BAIT TANK. IT WOULD BE A FAIRLY CHEAP OPTION AS I CAN GET A SECOND FOR A LITTLE OF NOTHING.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    500 gallons seems like an awefully large tank, but then I don't have that kind of room.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Bait of what kind for which of Ohio Catfish plz??

:wink:

4. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'M THINKING SHAD. DON'T THINK I CAN KEEP SKIPPIES ALIVE LONG ENOUGH TO GET THEM BACK FROM THE RIVER. FISHING FOR CHANNELS AND BLUES.

5. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Opinion:

If Shad I would want to talk to someone that kept them alive for over 2 weeks with good results before I spent tooooo much $$$$ and time on the project.

Frozen Shad should be way easier even though it gets abit mussy. Sewing it to the hooks ain't all that bad or just using the heads which hold on the hook well after frozen.

"Just my 2 cents"
    :0a18:

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Keeping shad alive all winter probably isnt gonna happen, weeks at the most like the above poster stated. Salt is good for keeping shad from loosing there slime coat, but the amount of care, including filtration, temperature, that you would have to up keep may become overwhelming in a hurry. I am not gonna knock anyone for trying, as a 500 gallon tank may produce better results than normal, but you said yourself salt will eat away at concrete. But let me tell ya, whatever filtration system you used on that thing would have to be one bad mamajama...:wink:

7. Reich138

Reich138 New Member

State:
    Columbus/Dublin, Ohio
    Unless you intend to invest a solid bit in filtration, I'd say you're going to have a hard time. Shad are fairly weak fish, and they're very sensitive to ammonia and water PH. I believe most concrete contains lye, which is going to throw of your PH quickly. I've also had a problem with shad jumping, which would necessitate a lid.

Another problem would be that if your shad had any type of parasites or disease, it'd spread quickly to the whole school, which could very well kill them all if left untreated. Treating a tank of that size would be prohibitively expensive, and the treatments themselves often kill or weaken fish.

8. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    you could always put a cheap rubber linner over your concrete. like an old pond liner. and a great filter can be maid cheap. the most expesive part is the water pump. as long as you can circulate the water enough times an hour . the filteration part is easy. you could buy a pump that is bigg enough. take a 55 gallon trash can. run your hose from pump all the way to bottom . fill with cheap free filter media. water will fill up. as its running water through the filter media . as it over flows the top. which you do some minor construction and have it run right into the tank. so your filter would overflow basically into your tank. as long as you can have your water move or circulate so many times an hour . a 55 gallon trash can can filter a much bigger tank then 500 gallons.