Bait tanks ?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Big Dav, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I could not figure out where to post this question so I put it here. Sorry if it is in the wrong place.:embarassed:

Can any of you make suggestions to a quality bait tank? Something better than my 5 gallon bucket and bubble box. I don't have problem with gills of chubs but I cannot keep shad more that an hour. I have tried the shad keeper and I have an on board bubble box with two outlets. With both outlets in the one bucket, I still don't have much luck with shad.
    Does anyone use the cabelas with the 12 volt aerator? http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_requestid=59851

I don't want to spend $500 or more. The cheaper the better, I am trying to fill the cookie jar for a different boat.:big_smile:

Thanks for the help,
    David

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One of the primary things is that you have a round baitwell, or the shad will pack up in the corners and die. Also important is that you keep a consistent temperature of the water. If you can rig up a hefty constant flow of water from the river/lake into the baitwell, with some kind of overflow, insulation isn't too important. But if you should need one that's insulated, I found a couple of plastic garbage cans at Wal Mart--one 32 gallon, one 28 gallon. The smaller one fits inside the larger one with just enough room to spray in some Great Stuff foam.

4. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the link and other information.:big_smile:
    I would still like to hear form the end users of the different tanks. What worked and what did not work? I would like to learn from others before I waste my time and more importantly money.

Thanks again
    David

5. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    big dav....

check this out....

www.bluewaterbaittanks.com

thats where I got mine... I got a 37 gallon for under $500.00

we have kept shad alive for days during striper season....and I am not exaggerating!!!

the filter system is what sets this bait tank apart from others...

saw you were from VA.

forgot to mention they have a rep in western NC....That should save you money in shipping if you interested in his name or number PM me and I will give it to you...

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    bigblaze has it right if you want a quailty bait tank. i have a super bait tank 2 and it works just like the one he has shown but mine has a added scale catcher in the filter area. mine is a 20 gallon tank and i like it for room and space in the boat. keep in mine a gallon of water is 8 pounds so that should give you a ideal of how much weight you are adding to your boat. i have seen alot of folks buy 30 gallon tanks to only find out they was too big for them. i have kept 5-6 dozen blue back herring alive for two day in 90 degree weather with mine but i had to add ice to keep it cool. only two things i put in mine is ice and salt once and keep the filter changed. i wasted the first 100 bucks on one i built and then i got smart. so if you want a tank that works without problems buy one with a good filter system and dont over crowd your baits. also you need to put them in a live well for 5-10 minutes before putting them in the tank. they do all kinds of stuff in the water when you catch them from shock from being caught. it will help keep the water clean in the bait tank and make for longer bait life.

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    John and Michael,
    Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about one of the quality bait tanks like the creek bank or the blue water. I did not want to spend that much money right now and another issue is I fish 90 % from my 17 ft bass tracker and 10% from our 19 ft Lowe deck boat (much like a pontoon). The larger 20+ gallon tanks would not be an issue on the deck boat (plenty of room) but the larger tank would be a big problem on the boat that I use 90 % of the time. I am trying to talk the wife into a Sea Ark Big Daddy but that is going to take some time and savings. Another reason I was not wanting to spend $500+/- on a tank. I may just bite the bullet and buy a nice tank and retire my 5 gallon bucket, etc. I am pretty good with fiber glass and was considering making one but the filtration would be my problem. I looked at the quality ideas in the library and may be inspired enough to give it a try. I have most of the pluming needed and a pump, I just need to decide on what type of containers I would use. If I build one it will be insulated with closed cell spray foam for insulation.
    Any tips and further suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Both for building one and for the future purchase of a quality tank.
    John,
    I would like that contact information if you don't mind. I may decide to go ahead with a nice tank for the deck boat.

Thanks again,
    David

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    david the spray in type foam like you can buy at home depot or lowes is what i used on the one i built. also it will absorb water. i took two barrles and sprayed it in one and set my smaller barrel down in the larger one but the probelm i had was the foam will not set up if it dont get air to it. so i had a decent home made bait tank for 6 months then one day i go out there and it busted on the inside and foam ran everywhere in side. keep in mind i was using 1/4" thick plastic barrels so there was some preasure to crack it. the key is to filter the scales before they make it to the pump. you should be able to do a search on the internet to find a dealer in you location for most bait tanks. the super bait tank 2 folks wont sell to the direct public....have to go through a dealer. or thats the way it was when i bought mine. if you can use a 30 gallon tank or bigger then if you look around you can find a used one sometimes. i know i did but i have a 18 ft lund deep vee and i knew it was too big for me. there is some differnece in size of bait tanks from one company to another also. the creek bait tank in 30 gallon is about the same size of a 20 like i have. they was just new at it when i bought mine and didnt want to waste anymore money. i know folks that have them now and are happy.