Bait Tanks

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by SkipEye, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Grayline, Creek Bank, Blue Water, Keep Alive, Homemade etc.......

1. Where are you placing in the boat (after all they are heavy when full)

2. What size

3. Round or oblong

4. Lessons learned

5. Advice

6. Self Contained or fed from River/lake with a pump

Don't see a lot of 'real world' info and pics out there. Let us have it here on BOC.

Pictures would be especially awesome!

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Here is mine

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51500

If your wanting to keep shad, make sure it round, has some current to it , and a good filtration and aerator system... I looked at a bunch of commercial ones online, Creek Bank impressed me the most...

I have a 17' Grumman side console with a 25 HP johnson.. I keep my tank on the front left side, next to the built in "live well" (if you can call it that :wink:) .. Kinda offsets the boat when i'm solo hehe. I can feel a speed difference empty vs full with my little 25HP motor....

I fill/recirc/empty mine with one pump.. I can run it in an open OR closed system... Works great so far...I've kept Shad, Gills, Google-eye, shiners with no problems...

Looks a bit Frankenstein compared to the commercial tanks and It's not Insulated.. BUT, I dont have a 1/4 cost in mine.. Maybe $60 compared to $480...

Next to say he is a bait tank expert :smile2: but, Mr T on here has had experience with several different brands.. I actually PM'd him a couple times for his thoughts when I was redesigning mine and he helped me a bit with info on my threads.... If he doesn't chime in here, try sending him a PM...

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    One other thing... Not sure where your fishing... I fish mostly calm lakes and have no problems keep my shad for a nite of fishing. I also fish blue gills more than shad. "Bumpy" rivers will be harder on your bait.. If your just wanting to keep gills/shiners, etc.. Build your own.. If your PRIMARILY wanting to keep Shad live, for extended period of time, you probably better off popping the $$ for a commercial, insulated tank imho.

4. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We use a 55 gallon drum with a $5.00 air pump from walmart.we've had up to 35 hand size bluegill in it at one time with no problem.

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Where are you putting a 55 gal drum on a boat? Isn't that kinda tall?

Just wondering.

Pics anyone?

6. iam2hi2flyinky

iam2hi2flyinky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    just cut the barrle down to 3ft lol

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

forward positioning of the tank will offset your enjines weight. thus shallowing your boat if your doing shallow water fishing, if your in wavy rougher water idealy you should position center or slightly rear to allow and aid in planing of the boat. Cheepest and often best airator is a simple water pump with the injector bar style nozel. I prefer shallowest water level possible in my bait tank as it will turn over faster and will actualy give more air to the bait. it is a missconception that deeper water is beter for the bait. it will turn over slower and is heavier. exception being with shad as they are delicate and benifit from the protection of larger tank. localy we use mainy bullhead suckers and simlar types but occasionaly i fish waters with shad and have sucessfully held them under these conditions. personaly i like a big cooler with the injector bar style pump.

8. KG_CHawkX2

KG_CHawkX2 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I made mine from a plastic 55 gallon drum cut in half and ran it off my raw water washdown pump, with a wooden top and a couple cabinet hinges. I slide it in the bow for more weight and more trim at WOT. Pretty cheap to make, about 20 bucks in materials and if you dont have a washdown a simple mr. bubbles would proably work. I like the washdown because i can turn it on while im running and with a seperate line running out of the tank and over the side it is constantly circulating new water in. I'll take a picture of it tonight.

And it was a tight fit but i had 2 20lb cats in it on saturday and 2 hours after they were still full of energy when released.